Old 14-03-2003, 12:44 PM
JStubbs358

Default Its that time-Childrens Garden

Its that time of year-Putting in my neighborhood childrens garden. And once
again I'm stumped. Its in san ANtonio zone 8b it gets 100+ degrees in summer.
This garden gets full West sun and is between the sidewalk and a wood fence.
The neighborhood children do it. Its about 4 ft wide and 50-60 ft long

Right now its pristine -no weeds and freshly turnes soil-I forget how pretty a
bed waiting to be planted is. Since its done by the kids ages 3-10 or 11) with
my supervision it has crooked rows and usually a little weedy but I love it.

So what do we put in this year. We've done sunflowers (several types) no one
would pick them. Cherry tomatoes I couldn't give away. My husband always eats
the radishes but what else? I love lots of flowers but the petunias always are
puny.
It could get cold again but its been close to 80 all this week. Cosmos didn't
work.
Zinnias do ok as do vincas. (I had to laugh at Madgardner and her vinca saga.
Is that the same vinca we nuture all summer just to plant again next year?

DO I repeat sunflowers or are there some better suggestions. ANd if so what
else.They like variety but space 4x50 or 60 is limited.
Judy zone8b
Old 14-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Valkyrie

pumpkins

Old 14-03-2003, 02:20 PM
SugarChile

Have you ever done a bean teepee? You could use the fence as part of the
support. Kids love to have a special space to crawl into and hide and play.
There is a lot of drama in a bean teepee.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 14-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Warren

JStubbs358 wrote:

So what do we put in this year. We've done sunflowers (several types)

no one
would pick them.

Marigolds. They should be easy to grow, and there are lots of different
varieties, tall and small. And they aren't all gold, either.

I like Valkyrie's suggestion of pumpkins, too. A combination of pumpkins
and marigolds could give you a combination of early results (the
marigolds), and late rewards (the pumpkins).

SugarChile's suggestion of a bean teepee sounds good, too. That could be
the centerpiece, with the pumpkins and marigolds around it.

And now I'm getting an urge to rip-up a section of lawn, and do just
that! Unfortunately, there aren't many kids in my neighborhood, and
they're afraid of me anyway. So if I did it, I'd have to do all the work
myself.... now my urge is passing.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 14-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Tim B

Crop of potatoes in a bushel basket. Fascinating for children to watch em
grow and add more soil. Use soilless mix 4-5 inches at first and keep
adding during the season.

Strawberries. Daily picking and eating fun.

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
pumpkins

Old 15-03-2003, 05:08 AM
JStubbs358

These are some great suggestions! Keep them coming

Question about pumpkins- Isn't it early for them? Do they do ok this far south
and this hot? I've done baby ornamental size last year really late like Aug and
they just barely turned orange in time for halloween.-OH-Oh Gourds -is it too
early for different types of gourds?

Liked greenbeen T Pees- would something different like scarlet runners work?
Never did them.

Yeah my wonderful husband gets the ground turned for me. I'm right next to the
community mailbox so I usually put signs there and hand out some flyers at a
few homes. I'm pre maturly white and plump so I think i'm very non threatening
plus I invite the parents to come. Some show up-none help but they all watch.
last time there were 12 kids from 3-11 so we are a spectacle. The houses have
turned over so i don't know who is here this year-Oh would watermelons work
maybe the small round ones? It does face due west.
Old 15-03-2003, 05:08 AM
JStubbs358

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
pumpkins

Never even SEEN potatoes growing . will they grow here? Strawberries sound
decadent.
Judy Zone 8b (SAn ANtonio)
Old 15-03-2003, 06:45 AM
Valkyrie

"Valkyrie" wrote in message
pumpkins

Just for Gits and Shiggles I put "children's gardens" into Google and there
is a LOT of information, including themes, projects, plantings in specific
locations and even where to apply for financial funds for your project if
you feel so inclined. Good pictures for more ideas, too.

Val

Old 17-03-2003, 01:56 AM
JStubbs358

Thanks Val I appreciate it. Sometimes the most obvious things go right over my
head
Judyzone8b