Old 13-04-2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Update on fish problems

PP doesnt kill established filters.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/d....htm#POTASSIUM
Use a STOCK SOLUTION so there is no burning even if the fish swim thru it. use as
recommended above. clear with peroxide.
dont feed the day before and after a treatment just to make sure there isnt an
ammonia spike.
but dont treat at all unless it is really needed.
Ingrid

"humBill" wrote:

Thanks Carol
I have printed out your suggestion as it sounds like a good one for a broad
brush approach. I am hesitant to go that extreme right now as I do have a
heavy fishload. I do have two upflow filters but especially just coming
into feeding season I would be very concerned about how much my nitrifying
balance relies on the many pots and surfaces, which would be wiped out with
such a treatment. I also understood, perhaps incorrectly that even the
bypassed, full of water filters will begin to die after 4 hours, which an
adequate treatment of PP would require. I would have reservations as well
about my suspended algae. With my hot Texas full sun exposure, it took me
most of my first year (now on my third) to get the pond balanced and
consistently relatively clear. All that being said as mentioned I will keep
your suggestion to perhaps work up to, as needed basis.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan