Old 13-04-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan

Default Newbie questions about potted roses

wrote:
Two daughters want to grow roses in pots. None of us have experience.
What do we need to know? We've already been reading and asking, but I
hoped that we'd get some good advice here, too.

They've bought bareroot varieties 'Oklahoma' and 'CL Golden Showers'.

Some particular questions:

* What size pot? I've got different answers to this question already.

* Can we successfully add other plants to the rose pots, or would they
hinder the roses? And if we can, which other plants?

* Do we really need the specialty soil labelled for roses, or can
generic potting soil work?

* Anything else that we likely don't know.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

"typical" last frost date: May 13

Hi Ted

You did not mention the type of roses. You can grow roses in a regular
potting soil. Add a bit more peat moss. Get some "5 Gallon" containers
from the nursery and they will be large enough to grow your roses. You
can try to grow other plants like Ivy or Vinca but the roses might crowd
them out.

Enjoy your roses and if you have any more questions about gardening you
can Email at:
.

Derryl Killan
Horticulturalist