Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Newbie questions about potted roses

Two daughters want to grow roses in pots. None of us have experience.
What do we need to know? We've already been reading and asking, but I
hoped that we'd get some good advice here, too.

They've bought bareroot varieties 'Oklahoma' and 'CL Golden Showers'.

Some particular questions:

* What size pot? I've got different answers to this question already.

* Can we successfully add other plants to the rose pots, or would they
hinder the roses? And if we can, which other plants?

* Do we really need the specialty soil labelled for roses, or can
generic potting soil work?

* Anything else that we likely don't know.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Madison, Wisconsin, US

USDA zone 4/5
AHS heat zone 4/5
Sunset zone 43

"typical" last frost date: May 13

Old 12-04-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
morninglori

There are some roses that work better in pots than others. The large
Grandiflora is a bad choice for pots because it is huge. There are tons
of fairie roses that grow great in pots and bloom profusely. A simple
12 inch pot will do and you do NOT have to have special rose soil. But,
roses grow best in sandy loam, so if you have only top soil, throw some
sand and peat in with the mix in the pot. The type of pot you get
depends on how fast it will dry out. I am in Texas, which means my
roses in pots would barely last a day in the summer if I had them in
terracotta pots. To keep water in, they have to be plastic or glazed
pottery. But, as you are in Wisconsin, your probably would be more in
the blackspot/mildew family, I am guessing.

Does that help?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

morninglori wrote:

Does that help?

Yes! Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Old 14-04-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Voege

"morninglori" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are some roses that work better in pots than others. The large
Grandiflora is a bad choice for pots because it is huge. There are tons
of fairie roses that grow great in pots and bloom profusely. A simple
12 inch pot will do and you do NOT have to have special rose soil. But,
roses grow best in sandy loam, so if you have only top soil, throw some
sand and peat in with the mix in the pot. The type of pot you get
depends on how fast it will dry out. I am in Texas, which means my
roses in pots would barely last a day in the summer if I had them in
terracotta pots. To keep water in, they have to be plastic or glazed
pottery. But, as you are in Wisconsin, your probably would be more in
the blackspot/mildew family, I am guessing.

Does that help?

I agree. Miniature roses in pots are a natural and I've had good success
with them in pots even as small as 6" to 8" -- 12" would be very ample and
you wouldn't need to work so hard with watering and fertilizing. One
advantage to the small pots is that they are rather handy to take indoors
during the cold months where they will thrive in a light stand and can be
rotated into the house every few weeks.

Jim

Old 14-04-2006, 06:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Derryl Killan wrote:

You did not mention the type of roses.

They've bought bareroot varieties 'Oklahoma' and 'CL Golden Showers'.

Ted Shoemaker

[IMG] code is On

potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
Some questions for growing roses. Newbie who doesn't know much. Matt Roses 6 02-08-2004 07:22 AM
Potted roses Dennis Brown North Carolina 1 05-05-2003 04:32 PM