Old 13-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Ivy shreddings

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after JennyC wrote: in reply to
"Mike" wrote .

Question. When we cut the Ivy right back, find the inside of the
greenhouse
and liberate the Holly Tree, can the Ivy be shredded and put into the
'new'
compost heap, or is it toxic and will thus never be any good?

Shredding wil help, but it takes ages to rot down other wise. No idea if
it's
toxic.

Only a year or two. And it's not toxic. I compost it.

So do I and we get a lot every year as we have a large leaved one along

one
fence which requires serious annual pruning, the green bits only take a
normal amount of time to compost, the woody stems take a couple of years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Some of our best mulches come from ivy, the only time its a problem is when
its in seed - for obvious reasons!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk