Old 13-04-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Ivy shreddings

One of our daughters has just bought a house, got the keys yesterday :-))
and a Holly Tree in the garden has been swamped by an Ivy. Not only the Tree
but it has gone into the greenhouse and almost taken that over.

Question. When we cut the Ivy right back, find the inside of the greenhouse
and liberate the Holly Tree, can the Ivy be shredded and put into the 'new'
compost heap, or is it toxic and will thus never be any good?

8 x 6 greenhouse in perfect condition and not a plant in it, except Ivy

Mike

Old 13-04-2006, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message ...
One of our daughters has just bought a house, got the keys yesterday :-))
and a Holly Tree in the garden has been swamped by an Ivy. Not only the Tree
but it has gone into the greenhouse and almost taken that over.

Question. When we cut the Ivy right back, find the inside of the greenhouse
and liberate the Holly Tree, can the Ivy be shredded and put into the 'new'
compost heap, or is it toxic and will thus never be any good?

8 x 6 greenhouse in perfect condition and not a plant in it, except Ivy
Mike

Shredding wil help, but it takes ages to rot down other wise. No idea if it's
toxic.
jenny

Old 13-04-2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
JennyC wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message ...

Question. When we cut the Ivy right back, find the inside of the greenhouse
and liberate the Holly Tree, can the Ivy be shredded and put into the 'new'
compost heap, or is it toxic and will thus never be any good?

Shredding wil help, but it takes ages to rot down other wise. No idea if it's
toxic.

Only a year or two. And it's not toxic. I compost it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-04-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Nick Maclaren" wrote after JennyC wrote: in reply to
"Mike" wrote .

Question. When we cut the Ivy right back, find the inside of the
greenhouse
and liberate the Holly Tree, can the Ivy be shredded and put into the
'new'
compost heap, or is it toxic and will thus never be any good?

Shredding wil help, but it takes ages to rot down other wise. No idea if
it's
toxic.

Only a year or two. And it's not toxic. I compost it.

So do I and we get a lot every year as we have a large leaved one along one
fence which requires serious annual pruning, the green bits only take a
normal amount of time to compost, the woody stems take a couple of years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 13-04-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

[...]

Some of our best mulches come from ivy, the only time its a problem is when
its in seed - for obvious reasons!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-04-2006, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Some of our best mulches come from ivy, the only time its a problem is

when
its in seed - for obvious reasons!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Would a 'hot' compost kill those?

Mike
(Was going to be in Devon with a possible trip to Cornwall on the weekend
after Easter, but have had to call it off)

Old 13-04-2006, 10:47 PM
Registered User

I was told that leylandii cuttings were toxic, but I've been shredding them and composting them for a few years and they produce a lovely fibrous compost. Ivy should be no problem once it's dead!
Old 14-04-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Mike" wrote in message

Some of our best mulches come from ivy, the only time its a problem is

when
its in seed - for obvious reasons!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.

Would a 'hot' compost kill those?

Mike
(Was going to be in Devon with a possible trip to Cornwall on the weekend
after Easter, but have had to call it off)

No, they are designed to go through a birds stomach and nothing seems to
kill them.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
What to do with shreddings Janet Galpin United Kingdom 21 19-10-2005 06:02 PM
shreddings H Ryder United Kingdom 7 23-07-2005 09:09 AM
Shreddings Snowman United Kingdom 9 31-07-2003 05:33 PM