Old 15-04-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default pressure treated wood for the edge of the pond?

Gail Futoran wrote:

Derek, I was referring to the new pressure
treated wood. I know the older stuff was
treated with arsenic. Not the newer wood.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp
I still wouldn't use any pressure treated wood
around ponds.

They're still toxic to humans - you just have to read the warnings about
working with them. Note, also, that that article mentions the copper
content has been increased. Even copper isn't good for us internally, and
it's deadly to the invertebrates in the pond.

We've been using a borate treatment - as the Taunton article says, it's
pretty safe, but you'd still want to be really, really, careful about
cutting wood that has been treated with it. Still, you shouldn't use a
power saw on wood without a mask - sawdust from the most innocuous wood
isn't good for you, either.
--
derek