Old 13-04-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Pawel

Default pressure treated wood for the edge of the pond?

Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of the
pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

pawel

Old 13-04-2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Pawel" wrote in message
Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of the
pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

=====================
It will poison the fish.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 13-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Pawel" wrote in message
Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of the
pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

pawel

Google pressure treated wood and read up on
what the wood is treated with. In the USA,
the old wood was treated with arsenic (or a
type thereof). I don't know what the new
treated wood is treated with, but just because it
is (presumably) safe for plants and humans
doesn't make it necessarily safe for fish.

Also remember that even if the wood is
above the pond water level, rain will wash
any contaminants into the water.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 13-04-2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Gail Futoran wrote:

"Pawel" wrote in message
Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of
the pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

Google pressure treated wood and read up on
what the wood is treated with. In the USA,
the old wood was treated with arsenic (or a
type thereof). I don't know what the new
treated wood is treated with, but just because it
is (presumably) safe for plants and humans
doesn't make it necessarily safe for fish.

Pressure treated wood is, in fact, highly toxic to humans. Just read the
warnings about working with it. otoh, heavy metals are not very toxic to
fish.

otth, copper is toxic to the invertebrates.
--
derek
Old 13-04-2006, 08:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

no. chemicals are nasty. use cedar or pine. Ingrid

"Pawel" wrote:

Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of the
pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

pawel

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 14-04-2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:

"Pawel" wrote in message
Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of
the pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

Google pressure treated wood and read up on
what the wood is treated with. In the USA,
the old wood was treated with arsenic (or a
type thereof). I don't know what the new
treated wood is treated with, but just because it
is (presumably) safe for plants and humans
doesn't make it necessarily safe for fish.

Pressure treated wood is, in fact, highly toxic to humans. Just read the
warnings about working with it. otoh, heavy metals are not very toxic to
fish.

Derek, I was referring to the new pressure
treated wood. I know the older stuff was
treated with arsenic. Not the newer wood.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp
I still wouldn't use any pressure treated wood
around ponds.

Old 14-04-2006, 04:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Something like TREX (artificial deck wood) might give you permanent
material. Haven't checked about leaching from it.

--
See our pond at: home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley
Ask me about Jog A Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 14-04-2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

the entire face of the veggie filter of my pond is cedar ... the water runs down it.
algae and now moss are growing on it. the fish are fine. of course cypress is just
the best. Ingrid

Derek Broughton wrote:
I'm not convinced that cedar is any safer than PT lumber - the dust is just
as unsafe to breath as the sawdust from PT lumber.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

Old 15-04-2006, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Gail Futoran wrote:

Derek, I was referring to the new pressure
treated wood. I know the older stuff was
treated with arsenic. Not the newer wood.
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp
I still wouldn't use any pressure treated wood
around ponds.

They're still toxic to humans - you just have to read the warnings about
working with them. Note, also, that that article mentions the copper
content has been increased. Even copper isn't good for us internally, and
it's deadly to the invertebrates in the pond.

We've been using a borate treatment - as the Taunton article says, it's
pretty safe, but you'd still want to be really, really, careful about
cutting wood that has been treated with it. Still, you shouldn't use a
power saw on wood without a mask - sawdust from the most innocuous wood
isn't good for you, either.
--
derek
Old 15-04-2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

I bet you wrap yourself up in one large haz-mat chemical bio suit for
daily wear......andn wrap yourself in saran wrap for a body condom
before having sex with your old lady!

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:07:35 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:
Gail Futoran wrote:

[...]

\\\|///
( @ @ )
-----------oOOo(_)oOOo---------------

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 15-04-2006, 02:57 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gail Futoran

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
[snip]
They're still toxic to humans - you just have to read the warnings about
working with them. Note, also, that that article mentions the copper
content has been increased. Even copper isn't good for us internally, and
it's deadly to the invertebrates in the pond.

We've been using a borate treatment - as the Taunton article says, it's
pretty safe, but you'd still want to be really, really, careful about
cutting wood that has been treated with it.

--Still, you shouldn't use a
power saw on wood without a mask - sawdust from the most innocuous wood
isn't good for you, either.
--
derek

--Oh, I agree! Please explain that to my
husband.

Gail

Old 15-04-2006, 03:39 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Still, you shouldn't use a
power saw on wood without a mask - sawdust from the most innocuous wood
isn't good for you, either.
--
derek

=========================
We read somewhere not to BURN unwanted treated wood as it releases toxic
waste into the atmosphere. But then it releases toxins when buried so we
shouldn't bury it - I wonder how we're supposed to dispose of it?!?!?!
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the Aquaria Groups.*
rec.pond's FAQ are at:
http://www.geocities.com/justinm090/faq.html
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 25-04-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Andrew Burgess

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" writes:

Something like TREX (artificial deck wood) might give you permanent
material. Haven't checked about leaching from it.

Can I use the pressure treated wood as sort of moulding on the edge of the
pond? Or will it poison fish if it comes in contact with water?

When I researched Trex for a cover for a large (12' x 6') filter I was
dismayed to find it not recommeded for continuous high humidity. I don't
recall if it said anything about ground contact, you might want to check.

HTH