Old 15-04-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Yo, Jan...

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

I use 2 of those black plant baskets wired together like a clam shell,
the pump inside. Of course you cut a hole for the outflow and electrical
cord. If the hole is a little too big, stuff around the hose with some
filter material. It works great for me.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Does it still get covered in muck, pulled into it by the suction?

Sometimes, but only in the spring when algae is the thickest. I seldom have
to pull them up and hose them off. I don't know of anything with holes small
enough to protect things like newts, pollywogs and young fish and yet be
large enough to not have to hose off occasionally. Even without the algae
muck will collect INSIDE the clamshell baskets and on the pump intake. How
fast this happens depends on the fish load naturally.