Old 14-04-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

Default Yo, Jan...

I'm considering moving the filter/pump outside the pond as you recommended.
(Just hadda mess with it yet again.)

I'm still not clear how you can have a pump higher then the pond, and have
it pulling water up, so it doesn't run dry.

(This pump doesn't have a hose intake, only a bunch of verts on the bottom.)

My thoughts are to build it in one side of the waterfall project.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 14-04-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 00:01:20 -0400, "Gareee©" wrote:

I'm considering moving the filter/pump outside the pond as you recommended.
(Just hadda mess with it yet again.)

I'm still not clear how you can have a pump higher then the pond, and have
it pulling water up, so it doesn't run dry.

Well.... you can't with a submersible pump similar to what you describe.
You have to have the filter water level, level with the pond (assuming
you're making a filter similar to what I have on my website with 55 gallon
barrels)?

Otherwise you have to leave the pump in the pond, pumping up to either the
top or bottom (I prefer bottom/upflow) of the filter, to spill out and down
the water fall. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-04-2006, 02:30 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

wrote:

I'm considering moving the filter/pump outside the pond as you
recommended.
(Just hadda mess with it yet again.)

I'm still not clear how you can have a pump higher then the pond, and have
it pulling water up, so it doesn't run dry.

Well.... you can't with a submersible pump similar to what you describe.
You have to have the filter water level, level with the pond (assuming
you're making a filter similar to what I have on my website with 55 gallon
barrels)?

Otherwise you have to leave the pump in the pond, pumping up to either the
top or bottom (I prefer bottom/upflow) of the filter, to spill out and
down
the water fall. ~ jan

That's about what I thought. I'll plan on the in pond pump, and then some
filter setup before the water goes into the upper pondlet/waterfall.

BTW, and good method of screening the in pond pump, rather then the "milk
crate" filter? I'd perfer something that prevents salamanders and leaf
debris from entering the pump, but does not act like a filter that needs to
be cleaned every week or two.

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 14-04-2006, 04:09 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareee©" wrote in message
BTW, and good method of screening the in pond pump, rather then the "milk
crate" filter? I'd perfer something that prevents salamanders and leaf
debris from entering the pump, but does not act like a filter that needs
to be cleaned every week or two.

====================
I use 2 of those black plant baskets wired together like a clam shell, the
pump inside. Of course you cut a hole for the outflow and electrical cord.
If the hole is a little too big, stuff around the hose with some filter
material. It works great for me.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 14-04-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gareee©

"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

I use 2 of those black plant baskets wired together like a clam shell, the
pump inside. Of course you cut a hole for the outflow and electrical
cord. If the hole is a little too big, stuff around the hose with some
filter material. It works great for me.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are two Koi-Lo's on the Aquaria Groups.*
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Does it still get covered in muck, pulled into it by the suction?

--
Gareee©
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 15-04-2006, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Does it still get covered in muck, pulled into it by the suction?

Surface area gives muck time to break down, so there are always clear
spots. http://users.owt.com/jjspond/koipond/photos/set1/09.jpg I've used
one of these in the lily pond, opened it up to find a perfectly clean pump
within after a year of use. ~ jan

-----------------
Old 15-04-2006, 03:24 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Gareee©" wrote in message
"Koi-Lo" wrote in message

I use 2 of those black plant baskets wired together like a clam shell,
the pump inside. Of course you cut a hole for the outflow and electrical
cord. If the hole is a little too big, stuff around the hose with some
filter material. It works great for me.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
*Note: There are two Koi-Lo's on the Aquaria Groups.*

Does it still get covered in muck, pulled into it by the suction?

Sometimes, but only in the spring when algae is the thickest. I seldom have
to pull them up and hose them off. I don't know of anything with holes small
enough to protect things like newts, pollywogs and young fish and yet be
large enough to not have to hose off occasionally. Even without the algae
muck will collect INSIDE the clamshell baskets and on the pump intake. How
fast this happens depends on the fish load naturally.