Old 16-04-2006, 02:37 PM posted to aus.gardens
Blaircam

Default Transplanting Camellias

I think rainman's advice is pretty good but we tried to transplant about 5
camellias awhile ago.
Only 1 survived but it was never the same again...
Good luck

wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:44:21 +1000, "Geoff & Heather"
wrote:

Has anyone had any success transplanting camellias ? We are in the
Hunter
valley and have a three year old plant we want to move - any suggestions?

I'm assuming the plant was planted 3 years ago and is not just 3 years
old. It would have been 3-4
years old in a 200mm bucket when sold,

Wait until early July.

Apply Seasol 3 weeks before the move then again about 5 days before. Dig
a big hole and try to get
as much or the roots as you can. Slip something like hessian or plastic
under the rootball, lift it
out using the hessian or plastic to stop the rootball falling apart and
replant into some good soil.
I like to use Camellia and Azalea potting mix, even though it is designed
for potted plants. It is
great in the garden.

Apply Seasol again and all should be well.

In September give it a little cow manure and some blood and bone.