Old 16-04-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default Lights question.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:01:23 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

My approach has always been indoors to deep shade, deep shade to moderate
shade, moderate- to light shade, all over about a 10-day period.

We had a friend who used snow fencing to make his 'shade - lath'
house. He just supported it at the height of his privacy fence top.
He also made benches using snow fence for the surface to hold the pots
all summer. This only works if you have to time to balance things and
do not have squirrels or cats who would bounce around in the plants
and knock things over.

We grew out in Chicago. We waited until it was a bit warmer than
Ray's 50 in over night temp. And we just hung all the pots from tree
limbs. That kept the plants in shade, but you would be surprised at
the extra sun that sneaks in under the trees early and late in the
day.