Old 14-04-2006, 04:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

Default Lights question.

I have a Sharry Baby that finally decided to take a break from
trying to out mass the cat (as in feline) and has started two spikes.
There is no way it can fit where it currently is when it gets around
to blooming. I'm looking for some sort of lighting so I can move it
to an end table, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

If anyone has any experience growing oncids outside in North Carolina
during the summer, that may be an alternative solution.

--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and
Old 14-04-2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill

A desk lamp with a grow bulb.
Joe T
Houston

Old 14-04-2006, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Outdoors is fine, with the following caveats:

1. Don't move it out until 50° nighttime lows or higher are certain.
2. Transition it into brighter conditions, don't just taker it straight
outdoors.

I grow mine hung up with vandas here in PA, so I know they can handle it
pretty bright, but I think direct NC sun might be a bit too much, based upon
my experience growing in SC.

rg...

Old 14-04-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
?

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:53:17 -0400 in Ray wrote:
Outdoors is fine, with the following caveats:

1. Don't move it out until 50° nighttime lows or higher are certain.

2. Transition it into brighter conditions, don't just taker it straight
outdoors.

What's the best way to do that?
I'm used to moving tomatoes and peppers outside and they don't
seem to mind the abrupt change.
What's the most idiot proof way for bringing them out?

I grow mine hung up with vandas here in PA, so I know they can handle it
pretty bright, but I think direct NC sun might be a bit too much, based upon
my experience growing in SC.

Any suggestions on putting up a mini shade house on or around the deck?

Old 14-04-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

My approach has always been indoors to deep shade, deep shade to moderate
shade, moderate- to light shade, all over about a 10-day period.

rg...

Old 16-04-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:01:23 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

My approach has always been indoors to deep shade, deep shade to moderate
shade, moderate- to light shade, all over about a 10-day period.

We had a friend who used snow fencing to make his 'shade - lath'
house. He just supported it at the height of his privacy fence top.
He also made benches using snow fence for the surface to hold the pots
all summer. This only works if you have to time to balance things and
do not have squirrels or cats who would bounce around in the plants
and knock things over.

We grew out in Chicago. We waited until it was a bit warmer than
Ray's 50 in over night temp. And we just hung all the pots from tree
limbs. That kept the plants in shade, but you would be surprised at
the extra sun that sneaks in under the trees early and late in the
day.