Old 17-04-2006, 08:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default Pickerel problems aquaria

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Altum" wrote in message
et...
I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't
growing fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8".
this year I moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at
its roots. It's put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and
the current shoots are about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

That is unusual. Mine can reach 3' tall with big blue flower spikes. I
plant mine either in plain clay soil topped with gravel or plain gravel.
It's smaller in gravel. Could it be the PH of your water? Ours is hard
and alkaline. It likes all day sun and does better in moving water
(grows taller).

Maybe it's the sun. It gets full sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then is
in shade. My water is medium hard and fairly alkaline, pond pH hangs
around 7.3 (I keep meaning to buy some oyster shells). It doesn't get
very much water motion where it's planted. I suppose I could swap it
with the Canna that always looks vaguely sunburned and is in more current.

Sounds like Ingrid and I need to head over to Roy's place to dig up some
nice, healthy pickerel. ;-)

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com