Old 14-04-2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default Pickerel problems

I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't
growing fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8".
this year I moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at
its roots. It's put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and
the current shoots are about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

It's in a pot of Schultz Aquatic Soil. The pot has holes in the bottom
so I put some weed cloth in it to hold the soil in. It's fertilized
with a water lily tablet. All my other plants are growing fine (gotta
thin that darned anacharis). What am I doing wrong?

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 15-04-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Pickerel problems aquaria

"Altum" wrote in message
et...
I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't growing
fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8". this year I
moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at its roots. It's
put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and the current shoots are
about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

That is unusual. Mine can reach 3' tall with big blue flower spikes. I
plant mine either in plain clay soil topped with gravel or plain gravel.
It's smaller in gravel. Could it be the PH of your water? Ours is hard and
alkaline. It likes all day sun and does better in moving water (grows
taller).

It's in a pot of Schultz Aquatic Soil. The pot has holes in the bottom so
I put some weed cloth in it to hold the soil in. It's fertilized with a
water lily tablet. All my other plants are growing fine (gotta thin that
darned anacharis). What am I doing wrong?

I don't fertilize mine but do add 1 Tbsp of Potash per 1000g to the pond
water once a month.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
Aquariums since 1952.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 15-04-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
humBill

My 'guess' would be the depth. Most bog plants just prefer "their toes
wet"= only the roots and not the plant. I would leave it there and see what
happens. You're right about hardy. I had removed one and put on top of a
big pile of leaves and branches at the end of one season. 6 months later I
looked over there and it was coming back.
Good luck.
Bill

et...

Old 15-04-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.ponds

I cant keep it alive either. usually dies over winter. argh. Ingrid

Altum wrote:

I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't
growing fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8".
this year I moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at
its roots. It's put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and
the current shoots are about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

It's in a pot of Schultz Aquatic Soil. The pot has holes in the bottom
so I put some weed cloth in it to hold the soil in. It's fertilized
with a water lily tablet. All my other plants are growing fine (gotta
thin that darned anacharis). What am I doing wrong?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 15-04-2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Your welcome to all of it you want to dig up.......I have a bunch of
it, that just won;t go away. I keep it in check, but would rather it
be gone totally, or at least gone from the area its in now....Same for
Iris and Thalia...........The Iris is so thick around 3/4th of the
ponds diamater you can not get close to the water at all. The iris are
probably 5 to 6 feet thick in lots of places, with most about 3 to 4
feet in thickness.....

Altum wrote:

I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't
growing fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8".
this year I moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at
its roots. It's put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and
the current shoots are about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

It's in a pot of Schultz Aquatic Soil. The pot has holes in the bottom
so I put some weed cloth in it to hold the soil in. It's fertilized
with a water lily tablet. All my other plants are growing fine (gotta
thin that darned anacharis). What am I doing wrong?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....

Old 17-04-2006, 08:06 AM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Altum" wrote in message
et...
I can't get pickerel weed to grow. I thought it was sturdy stuff. It
languished last year. I got a few stalks and a bloom but it wasn't
growing fast or well. I think I had it too deep, submerged about 8".
this year I moved it to about 5", and finally to where the water is at
its roots. It's put out little shoots but the first batch rotted and
the current shoots are about 4" tall and have stopped growing.

That is unusual. Mine can reach 3' tall with big blue flower spikes. I
plant mine either in plain clay soil topped with gravel or plain gravel.
It's smaller in gravel. Could it be the PH of your water? Ours is hard
and alkaline. It likes all day sun and does better in moving water
(grows taller).

Maybe it's the sun. It gets full sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then is
in shade. My water is medium hard and fairly alkaline, pond pH hangs
around 7.3 (I keep meaning to buy some oyster shells). It doesn't get
very much water motion where it's planted. I suppose I could swap it
with the Canna that always looks vaguely sunburned and is in more current.

Sounds like Ingrid and I need to head over to Roy's place to dig up some
nice, healthy pickerel. ;-)

Old 17-04-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...

=======================
Maybe it's the sun. It gets full sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then is in
shade. My water is medium hard and fairly alkaline, pond pH hangs around
7.3 (I keep meaning to buy some oyster shells). It doesn't get very much
water motion where it's planted. I suppose I could swap it with the Canna
that always looks vaguely sunburned and is in more current.

Try swapping them and adding POTASSIUM or Potash to the water. I use 1 or 2
Tbs per 1000 gallons of pond water. Pickerel does best with all the sun it
can get.

Sounds like Ingrid and I need to head over to Roy's place to dig up some
nice, healthy pickerel. ;-)

Good luck!
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-04-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...
Koi-Lo wrote:
[...]

I fertilize with nitrate, phosphate, potash, traces, and iron. My pond
doesn't have enough fish to come anywhere close to keeping up with the
plants.

Old 17-04-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...

I fertilize with nitrate, phosphate, potash, traces, and iron. My pond
doesn't have enough fish to come anywhere close to keeping up with the
plants.

I seldom have that problem. :-))
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Pruning overgrown Pickerel JC Ponds 9 08-03-2004 07:35 PM
Free Iris & Purple Pickerel Weed to Locals in So. California Mike Ponds 1 18-02-2004 02:58 AM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Houseplant problems... John Doe Gardening 15 23-02-2003 04:15 AM
Paph problems Jbkkhawk Orchids 28 30-01-2003 11:49 PM