Old 17-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

Default Need help with my horrible lawn

"O.B. Juan" wrote in message
My lawn looks like crap. I see three problems--weeds, ant hills and bare
spots. So I want to kill the weeds and the ants, and get grass to grow in
the bare spots. I don't really need a perfect looking dark green lawn,

but
no weeds and good grass coverage would be nice.

Some of the bare areas are beneath a few large oak trees. I've heard that
it's really tough to get grass to grow under trees, so I'm either taking

the
trees out or just put up a border and mulch around the trees.

an alternative is to box around the trees and put in a garden (either soil
height or slightly raised) and plants some shade loving/tolerant ground
covers. My wife put in tulips around one of our trees which did well for a
while until I knocked them out with the lawn mower by mistake.

rob