Old 17-04-2006, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
O.B. Juan

Default Need help with my horrible lawn

My lawn looks like crap. I see three problems--weeds, ant hills and bare
spots. So I want to kill the weeds and the ants, and get grass to grow in
the bare spots. I don't really need a perfect looking dark green lawn, but
no weeds and good grass coverage would be nice.

Some of the bare areas are beneath a few large oak trees. I've heard that
it's really tough to get grass to grow under trees, so I'm either taking the
trees out or just put up a border and mulch around the trees.

Another problem (I think)--two different kinds of grass in my yard. The
prior owner planted zoysia on the side of the house, which gets a lot of
sun. The rest of the lawn (sun and shade exposure) is (I'm guessing) some
kind of rye/fescue blend. Do I need to treat the zoysia differently as far
as fertilizing, weed killer, etc.?

In what order should I work on the lawn? Weed killer now, then ants, then
wait 'till fall to put seed down? I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

Old 17-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"O.B. Juan" wrote in message
My lawn looks like crap. I see three problems--weeds, ant hills and bare
spots. So I want to kill the weeds and the ants, and get grass to grow in
the bare spots. I don't really need a perfect looking dark green lawn,

but
no weeds and good grass coverage would be nice.

Some of the bare areas are beneath a few large oak trees. I've heard that
it's really tough to get grass to grow under trees, so I'm either taking

the
trees out or just put up a border and mulch around the trees.

an alternative is to box around the trees and put in a garden (either soil
height or slightly raised) and plants some shade loving/tolerant ground
covers. My wife put in tulips around one of our trees which did well for a
while until I knocked them out with the lawn mower by mistake.

rob

Old 17-04-2006, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Muvin Gruvin

located in pacific northwest.....lotsa rain during winter
months....drought like conditions during summer when one wants a good
looking lawn.
Soil here is **** poor. It packs down and gets as hard as concrete. So
last week had a guy dethatch the lawn. Dethatching gets rid of the dead
layer which prevents nutrients from getting to the roots. This week he
will come back and aerate. Aeration is probly what lawn needed most.
The aeration machine takes plugs about 6 inches long from the soil. You
can leave them on top or rake them up. The reseed like crazy. Maybe this
method might help.

Old 19-04-2006, 02:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

My lawn looks like crap. I see three problems--weeds, ant hills and
bare
spots. So I want to kill the weeds and the ants, and get grass to grow
in
the bare spots. I don't really need a perfect looking dark green lawn,
but
no weeds and good grass coverage would be nice.

Some of the bare areas are beneath a few large oak trees. I've heard
that
it's really tough to get grass to grow under trees, so I'm either
taking the
trees out or just put up a border and mulch around the trees.

It the area gets at least some light, about 3 hours a day or so, then
you should be able to grow grass. Some trees, maples for example, can
be impossible to grow grass under because they have lots of surface
roots. But that should not be a problem with oaks. Be sure to use a
grass seed blend for dense shade.

Another problem (I think)--two different kinds of grass in my yard.
The
prior owner planted zoysia on the side of the house, which gets a lot
of
sun. The rest of the lawn (sun and shade exposure) is (I'm guessing)
some
kind of rye/fescue blend. Do I need to treat the zoysia differently as
far
as fertilizing, weed killer, etc.?

Two diff grasses aren't a problem, but Zoysia in Philly sure is. In
that area, Zoysia won't green up for another month. Then, come Oct,
it goes to straw brown. Plus, it spreads aggressively. I'd wait
till late Aug, then nuke it with Roundup and reseed. For your area,
I'd go with a tall fescue/blue grass mix for the sunny areas.

In what order should I work on the lawn? Weed killer now, then ants,
then
wait 'till fall to put seed down? I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

I'd apply pre-emergent crab grass control plus fertilizer right now.
For the weeds, unless they are everywhere, I'd use a 2 1/2 gallon tank
sprayer with Weed B Gone or similar for spot treatment. I'd also get
the soil tested, particularly the PH and lime if needed. You can put
down insecticide for ants anytime, if they are a real problem. But
fixing your other problems will encourage grass growth that will crowd
out the weeds. I would not do any reseeding now, you are several weeks
past optimal window for spring seeding. In the shady areas, spring is
the best time to seed, as the trees have no leaves so it will get max
light. But now tree leaves will be appearing, plus hotter temps,
meaning more water, more comp from weeds, etc, so I'd wait to reseed
the shady areas next spring.

In fall rent a core aerator for the whole lawn. For the sunny areas,
after killing with Roundup and waiting 7 days+ for it to die off, you
can reseed with a rented slice seeder

My horrible lawn Boosha Lawns 1 06-05-2007 08:49 AM
to Heidi the Horrible raizn4kids Lawns 0 09-04-2005 03:53 AM
Horrible string algae Sean Dinh Ponds 11 20-03-2004 03:48 AM
I am a horrible person- no water, etc. Kevin Orchids 2 03-12-2003 06:02 PM
Please ID this horrible plant CNB Lawns 2 17-05-2003 01:20 PM