Old 17-04-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Neighbours trees shading garden and house ???

With new improved "ancient lights" babble.

"solar power" wrote in message
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels,

Of course you do. Whether you're entitled to sell it to anybody
else, if at all, or without fulfilling all sorts of statutory
regulations is another matter entirely.

and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Absolutely none. However if a neighbour introduces 40 foot mature
trees into their garden, then if those trees block out light which
had been coming through the windows of an adjoining property for 20
years then the owner of the adjoining property has redress under what
is known as "ancient lights" (removal of)

Oops. It's not "removal of". The ancient "lights" referred to are
the actual windows themselves.

under the Prescription Act of 1832 and can sue to have them removed
on that basis.

Where new buildings are being planned, this is often one of the
considerations. As such rights can be subject to negotiation.

Ant future right to ancient lights is often explicitly excluded in
the Deeds to some houses, especially those built on large estates.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Maybe your neighbour should start monitoring your energy usage
as well. If you need to use solar panels then quite possibly
you're using far to much electricity already as it is.

Maybe if your neighbour reported this to your Local Council
then in accordance with their obligations under Agenda 21 they
could send a represesntative around who could make lots of
helpful suggestions as to how you could reduce your present
energy consumption.

By all going to bed earlier in the winter for a start. And wearing
overcoats indoors. As they all do in the Town Hall and in Council
Offices already of course.

You'd also probably want to sell your car, and walk, cycle or use
public transport instead.

You'd be suprised at the amount of energy you can save if you really
put your mind to it. All of which may even make expenditure on costly
solar panels and possible disagreements with neigbours totally
unecessary.

michael adams

Any thoughts ???