Old 17-04-2006, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
solar power

Default Neighbours trees shading garden and house ???

You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???
Old 17-04-2006, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Any thoughts ???

Move

Old 17-04-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"solar power" wrote in message
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???

So how high is the hedge/tree?
I doubt you will get very far pursuing the "legal right" route.

Old 17-04-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bigjon

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 06:46:21 GMT, solar power wrote:

You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???

speak to your neighbour?
Old 17-04-2006, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

solar power writes
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???

Bit of an irony if pursuing solar energy leaves us living in concrete
deserts.
--
Kay

Old 17-04-2006, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"solar power" wrote in message
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels,

Of course you do. Whether you're entitled to sell it to anybody
else, if at all, or without fulfilling all sorts of statutory
regulations is another matter entirely.

and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Absolutely none. However if a neighbour introduces 40 foot mature
trees into their garden, then if those trees block out light which
had been coming through the windows of an adjoining property for 20
years then the owner of the adjoining property has redress under what
is known as "ancient lights" (removal of) under the Prescription Act
of 1832 and can sue to have them removed on that basis.

Where new buildings are being planned, this is often one of the
considerations. As such rights can be subject to negotiation.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Maybe your neighbour should start monitoring your energy usage
as well. If you need to use solar panels then quite possibly
you're using far to much electricity already as it is.

Maybe if your neighbour reported this to your Local Council
then in accordance with their obligations under Agenda 21 they
could send a represesntative around who could make lots of
helpful suggestions as to how you could reduce your present
energy consumption.

By all going to bed earlier in the winter for a start. And wearing
overcoats indoors. As they all do in the Town Hall and in Council
Offices already of course.

You'd also probably want to sell your car, and walk, cycle or use
public transport instead.

You'd be suprised at the amount of energy you can save if you really
put your mind to it. All of which may even make expenditure on costly
solar panels and possible disagreements with neigbours totally
unecessary.

michael adams

Any thoughts ???

Old 17-04-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

With new improved "ancient lights" babble.

[...]

Oops. It's not "removal of". The ancient "lights" referred to are
the actual windows themselves.

under the Prescription Act of 1832 and can sue to have them removed
on that basis.

Where new buildings are being planned, this is often one of the
considerations. As such rights can be subject to negotiation.

Ant future right to ancient lights is often explicitly excluded in
the Deeds to some houses, especially those built on large estates.

Old 17-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Registered User

Location: East Mids UK

Is it fair to turn it around and accuse this poor guy/gal of wasting effort (and even potentially being a high energy user) by installing a solar panel? I think we should be congratulating people doing that sort of thing. Very insular reply!! Anyway, i wanted to mention that my neighbour had a huge tree which was about 20 ft from my house and my buildings insurance premium was inflated because of it. You could try saying something like that to your neighbour as they might find it easier to understand your position.

As for the tree near my place, i was having a sleep (in my room at the front of the house) one balmy afternoon and when i got up and walked down the hall, i blinked and double-taked cos they had cut down the tree while i was asleep and the light flowing into my back rooms was unbelievable. Thought i was in a spaceship, lol.
Old 17-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"solar power" wrote in message
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???

Check the NG 'alt.solar.photovoltaic'.

Last time I looked (a couple of years back) the energy cost of producing an
electricity generating solar panel was still greater than the energy saving
from using one for its normal projected life span.

In the winter even with a clear view you will generally not be generating
much electricity; solar panels are best for much sunnier climates than ours.

They generally offer the most benefit in isolated locations where mains
power is not available.

The solar panels which heat water tend to be cheaper and have a shorter pay
back time, but even those take may years before you see a cost saving let
alone an energy payback for the manufacturing.

You may well be better off increasing insulation values throughout your home
(if you haven't done this already).

As you may have gathered, the argument "I've decided to install solar panels
therefore you must cut down your trees" is not particularly green nor is it
likely to have any legal backing.

You could always explain to your neighbours what you are trying to do and
why, and offer to pay for the tree surgeon to reduce the height of their
trees.

HTH

Dave R

Old 17-04-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

| Last time I looked (a couple of years back) the energy cost of producing an
| electricity generating solar panel was still greater than the energy saving
| from using one for its normal projected life span.

Not to say that they often (always?) use all sorts of nasty metal, and so
are a biohazard in themselves.

| In the winter even with a clear view you will generally not be generating
| much electricity; solar panels are best for much sunnier climates than ours.

The only reason that they 'save' money in the UK is that they are heavily
subsidised.

| The solar panels which heat water tend to be cheaper and have a shorter pay
| back time, but even those take may years before you see a cost saving let
| alone an energy payback for the manufacturing.

Yup. They are also a damn sight more effective, and a damn sight less
polluting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.