Old 17-04-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Pickerel problems aquaria

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...
Koi-Lo wrote:
That is unusual. Mine can reach 3' tall with big blue flower spikes. I
plant mine either in plain clay soil topped with gravel or plain gravel.
It's smaller in gravel. Could it be the PH of your water? Ours is hard
and alkaline. It likes all day sun and does better in moving water (grows
taller).

=======================
Maybe it's the sun. It gets full sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then is in
shade. My water is medium hard and fairly alkaline, pond pH hangs around
7.3 (I keep meaning to buy some oyster shells). It doesn't get very much
water motion where it's planted. I suppose I could swap it with the Canna
that always looks vaguely sunburned and is in more current.

Try swapping them and adding POTASSIUM or Potash to the water. I use 1 or 2
Tbs per 1000 gallons of pond water. Pickerel does best with all the sun it
can get.

Sounds like Ingrid and I need to head over to Roy's place to dig up some
nice, healthy pickerel. ;-)

Good luck!
--
Koi-Lo....