Old 17-04-2006, 06:39 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default Pickerel problems aquaria

Koi-Lo wrote:

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...
Koi-Lo wrote:
That is unusual. Mine can reach 3' tall with big blue flower spikes.
I plant mine either in plain clay soil topped with gravel or plain
gravel. It's smaller in gravel. Could it be the PH of your water?
Ours is hard and alkaline. It likes all day sun and does better in
moving water (grows taller).

=======================
Maybe it's the sun. It gets full sun until about 1 or 2 pm and then
is in shade. My water is medium hard and fairly alkaline, pond pH
hangs around 7.3 (I keep meaning to buy some oyster shells). It
doesn't get very much water motion where it's planted. I suppose I
could swap it with the Canna that always looks vaguely sunburned and
is in more current.

Try swapping them and adding POTASSIUM or Potash to the water. I use 1
or 2 Tbs per 1000 gallons of pond water. Pickerel does best with all
the sun it can get.

I fertilize with nitrate, phosphate, potash, traces, and iron. My pond
doesn't have enough fish to come anywhere close to keeping up with the
plants.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com