Old 17-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default Neighbours trees shading garden and house ???

"solar power" wrote in message
You might think that this is the normal cutting hedges down to 6ft
problem.

But no.

I am planning a set of solar panels, but I cannot locate a good
position, as my neighbours trees get in the way.

As I live in a bungalow, I have good roof space. But when the winter
sun is low, I would be generating no electricity.

Do I have a legal right to produce my own electricity and heat from
solar panels, and if so what steps can be taken thru the council to
force them to be cut down.

Under Agenda 21 the councils have a legal right to encourage
sustainable energy.

Any thoughts ???

Check the NG 'alt.solar.photovoltaic'.

Last time I looked (a couple of years back) the energy cost of producing an
electricity generating solar panel was still greater than the energy saving
from using one for its normal projected life span.

In the winter even with a clear view you will generally not be generating
much electricity; solar panels are best for much sunnier climates than ours.

They generally offer the most benefit in isolated locations where mains
power is not available.

The solar panels which heat water tend to be cheaper and have a shorter pay
back time, but even those take may years before you see a cost saving let
alone an energy payback for the manufacturing.

You may well be better off increasing insulation values throughout your home
(if you haven't done this already).

As you may have gathered, the argument "I've decided to install solar panels
therefore you must cut down your trees" is not particularly green nor is it
likely to have any legal backing.

You could always explain to your neighbours what you are trying to do and
why, and offer to pay for the tree surgeon to reduce the height of their
trees.

HTH

Dave R