Old 17-04-2006, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Neighbours trees shading garden and house ???

In article ,
"David W.E. Roberts" writes:

| Last time I looked (a couple of years back) the energy cost of producing an
| electricity generating solar panel was still greater than the energy saving
| from using one for its normal projected life span.

Not to say that they often (always?) use all sorts of nasty metal, and so
are a biohazard in themselves.

| In the winter even with a clear view you will generally not be generating
| much electricity; solar panels are best for much sunnier climates than ours.

The only reason that they 'save' money in the UK is that they are heavily
subsidised.

| The solar panels which heat water tend to be cheaper and have a shorter pay
| back time, but even those take may years before you see a cost saving let
| alone an energy payback for the manufacturing.

Yup. They are also a damn sight more effective, and a damn sight less
polluting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.