Old 17-04-2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Toad eggs Filter or no filter?

Gill Passman wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

I'd suggest collecting some and letting them develop in an aquarium. The
one year I had a really good collection of toad tads, I didn't really get
much of a chance to see them develop. It seemed like one day I had
hundreds of tads with hind legs and tails, and next time I looked they
had all left the pond (and I'd find the little guys every time I
disturbed a rock).

My only proviso with that is not bringing the spawn into a warm house
too soon, IME, makes them hatch too early...better to wait until the
spawn is a little better developed...it broke my heart when I was trying
to show the development of tadpoles to the kids but brought the stuff in
too early - they "hatched" way too early and did not survive :-(

Oh, good point. I haven't done it for about 40 years!
--
derek