Old 17-04-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Rach

Default Toad eggs Filter or no filter?

I have a ton of what I think are Toad eggs in my plant in my pond.
(Long strings of tiny black dots,after I "walked in" on the act
yesterday) I want to Have my kids see them grow into toads, should I
turn off my pond filter to prevent the tadpoles from getting sucked in?

Old 17-04-2006, 07:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Rach wrote:
I have a ton of what I think are Toad eggs in my plant in my pond.
(Long strings of tiny black dots,after I "walked in" on the act
yesterday) I want to Have my kids see them grow into toads, should I
turn off my pond filter to prevent the tadpoles from getting sucked in?

Your tadpoles need filtered, moving water. I have a CalPump basket and
foam as a prefilter to protect the pump and give fry a chance. If you
tell us what kind of filter you have and whether it would be easy to
rinse a prefilter, I'm sure someone will suggest something.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com
Old 17-04-2006, 07:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Altum wrote:

Rach wrote:
I have a ton of what I think are Toad eggs in my plant in my pond.

It does sound like toads - though iirc newts' are also in strings.

(Long strings of tiny black dots,after I "walked in" on the act
yesterday) I want to Have my kids see them grow into toads, should I
turn off my pond filter to prevent the tadpoles from getting sucked in?

Your tadpoles need filtered, moving water.

But the eggs don't - I remember starting them in any old container as a kid.
Tadpoles will survive in worse water than most fish, too.

If you want the kids to see them develop - and I agree it's well worthwile -
I'd suggest collecting some and letting them develop in an aquarium. The
one year I had a really good collection of toad tads, I didn't really get
much of a chance to see them develop. It seemed like one day I had
hundreds of tads with hind legs and tails, and next time I looked they had
all left the pond (and I'd find the little guys every time I disturbed a
rock).
--
derek
Old 17-04-2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Rach" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a ton of what I think are Toad eggs in my plant in my pond.
(Long strings of tiny black dots,after I "walked in" on the act
yesterday) I want to Have my kids see them grow into toads, should I
turn off my pond filter to prevent the tadpoles from getting sucked in?

=============================
You can put some kind of guard over the intake. I use two black pond-plant
baskets wired together like clamshells, pump inside. they don't get sucked
in.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 17-04-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
Gill Passman

Derek Broughton wrote:
Altum wrote:

Rach wrote:

[...]

My only proviso with that is not bringing the spawn into a warm house
too soon, IME, makes them hatch too early...better to wait until the
spawn is a little better developed...it broke my heart when I was trying
to show the development of tadpoles to the kids but brought the stuff in
too early - they "hatched" way too early and did not survive :-(

Gill

Old 17-04-2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Gill Passman wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

I'd suggest collecting some and letting them develop in an aquarium. The
one year I had a really good collection of toad tads, I didn't really get
much of a chance to see them develop. It seemed like one day I had
hundreds of tads with hind legs and tails, and next time I looked they
had all left the pond (and I'd find the little guys every time I
disturbed a rock).

My only proviso with that is not bringing the spawn into a warm house
too soon, IME, makes them hatch too early...better to wait until the
spawn is a little better developed...it broke my heart when I was trying
to show the development of tadpoles to the kids but brought the stuff in
too early - they "hatched" way too early and did not survive :-(

Oh, good point. I haven't done it for about 40 years!
--
derek

Toad eggs Filter or no filter? Rach Ponds 0 17-04-2006 06:38 PM
Toad eggs Filter or no filter? Rach Ponds 0 17-04-2006 06:38 PM
Are they toad eggs? cbristow United Kingdom 11 21-01-2004 04:46 PM
frog/toad eggs wanted Judi9000 Ponds 3 15-11-2003 11:22 PM
to "Toad" Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 04-02-2003 01:19 AM