Old 18-04-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gardenlen

Default Stuffing our environment

g'day george,

count australia in there as well mate maybe even more so not sure?

i did send a reply to your original post 1 via the return format in this
program the other i sent to the e/mail addy ) in your
original signature line. not sure if you got them (both the same text)?

still would welcome chat with you about self changes, up to you i am on the
same wave length as you, just think that as important as this topic is these
av' garden forums/groups don't generate the sort of open discussion needed
to lead to what can be done.

you are welcome to contact me through our web site.

len

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1/

"George.com" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

Currently the availability of bio-fuels in New Zealand would account
for
something like.25% of the current energy demands of our nation. Put

another
way, it would take 400 years of bio-fuel growth to produce the same

energy
demands as 2006.

rob

but rob you are using your natural resources as well which is detrimental

your environment and you are not such a developed (in the
industrial/suburban sprawl way) nation.
http://www.mikecrowe.photosite.com/a...2ndLeg/?page=4
show the geysers at Rotorua which used to be a lot higher, but as the

guide
said, 'they are now being used to heat our houses'. What happens when
they
give up?

Mike

yeah, thanks Mike, thanks a bunch. It was an article in a magazine
pointing
out how we are cumitatively rooting NZs environment that threw me into
this
slough of despondency in the first place. Nice of you to throw me a
lifeline, with a lead weight attached. The following discourse is not uk
gardening as an advanced warning. More so how NZ is doing environmentally.

The geysers are actually doing better than they were 20 years ago. The
government capped many many back yard home heating systems as they were
drawing off too much thermal heat and dampening down the geysers. They are
certainly no where near the level going back 100 years but are showing
good
signs of good health. In fact, in recent years hot pools and steam vents
have started popping up in parks and peoples gardens showing the thermal
activity is increasing.

If you are talking about using natural resources faster than replacement
(sustainability) you are indeed correct. One latest issue is water. In the
drier parts of the south island water is being drawn off faster than it is
replaced. ancient aquifers are running dry. The water is going in to
irrigation for pasture mainly. Show me the logic of that.

Other natural resources are being conserved, that is one area NZ is doing
quite well. Land and wetlands are being locked away in national parks,
native forests no longer logged, increasing marine reserves. We are also
starting to invest quite heavily in wind power generation (though still a
small % of total demand) although nimbys still exist. One example was the
wind turbines may 'scare the horses'. My view on that is short and to the
point.

Whether this balances up the depletion of natural resources I do not know.
would suspect not however things are getting more in to balance. Eg, we
dig
up a coal seem but place more land in to a national park or create a new
marine reserve. We hunt for more natural gas but also build a large wind
farm.

More of a concern however is air quality (worsening), water quality
(disgusting deterioration), increasing consumer wastes, plastics etc etc.
We
are cleaning up past decades of DDT, copper, arsenic etc poisoining of
land.
Good. We continue to pump nitrates into our water ways causing
infestations
of water weeds.

We are a new country with a short history of european colonisation (200
years) however we have gone a long way down the line of environmental
degredation. Pity we didn't learn from europe with their centuries of
destruction. We seem to emulate it but do so a whole lot quicker. We are
still one of, it not the, cleanest country on earth however that is down
our recent development and low population. People are wising up, I just
wish
they would wise up a hell of a lot faster.

rob