Old 18-04-2006, 10:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Default Bought Without Blooms

The "extra measure" is patience.

Many phals need to be exposed to a day/night temperature drop of about
10°F-15°F for a couple of weeks in order to initiate the formation of an
inflorescence about 6-8 weeks later. For the in-home grower, that typically
happens in the autumn when nighttime temperatures cool the air sufficiently
that the plant sees those temperature variations near a window (it should
never see below 50°).

Hybrids involving some species - especially yellow hybrids - may be summer
bloomers instead, so that won't be an issue.

In the mean time, keep it fed and watered correctly, and it should be good
and healthy whenever it's ready to bloom.

"Pfui!" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently purchased a Phalaenopsis-hybrid orchid, with no blooms on
it. I have been taken all known measures, temperature, humidity,
indirect sunlight, etc. I've had it 2 weeks, and would like to know
what extra measure I can take to promote blooming.