Old 18-04-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bamboo shoots to cook

madgardener writes

"K" wrote in message
Justin Thyme writes
Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a
flavour
similar to corn.

Whoever wrote that has eaten some funny asparagus!
--

no....the tips of the asparagus does kinda taste like corn..

Well, I guess having been brought up in the prime asparagus growing area
of the UK and eating asparagus all my life, I probably have a reasonably
good knowledge of asparagus, but you will have a better knowledge of
corn. I would be exceedingly disappointed in any asparagus which tasted
like corn - it has a very strong and distinctive flavour, and if I had
to classify it, it would be nearer to baby broad beans - but then your
corn may well taste like that.

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

--
Kay