Old 16-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

Default Bamboo shoots to cook

Anyone tried cooking bamboo shoots from the garden? My Phyllostachys
aureosulcata spectablis is throwing up some very juicy looking shoots at the
moment. Wondered if anyone could recommend at what stage they should best
be cropped and how to prepare them.

Old 17-04-2006, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Anyone tried cooking bamboo shoots from the garden? My Phyllostachys
aureosulcata spectablis is throwing up some very juicy looking shoots at the
moment. Wondered if anyone could recommend at what stage they should best
be cropped and how to prepare them.

Not tried it myself but found this:
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/bambroc.pdf

I usually eat the tinned ones :~)
Jenny

Old 17-04-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

Anyone tried cooking bamboo shoots from the garden? My Phyllostachys
aureosulcata spectablis is throwing up some very juicy looking shoots at

the
moment. Wondered if anyone could recommend at what stage they should

best
be cropped and how to prepare them.

Not tried it myself but found this:
http://agsyst.wsu.edu/bambroc.pdf

I usually eat the tinned ones :~)
Jenny

Thank Jenny

Article says eat before 2 weeks old or one foot tall! I don't think mine
will make a foot in a fortnight, not this year anyway but will leave them
another week and give them a try.

Article also says...
Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a flavour
similar to corn.
Here's hoping.

Old 17-04-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Justin Thyme writes
Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a
flavour
similar to corn.

Whoever wrote that has eaten some funny asparagus!
--
Kay
Old 17-04-2006, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

"K" wrote in message
Justin Thyme writes
Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a
flavour
similar to corn.

Whoever wrote that has eaten some funny asparagus!
--
Kay

no....the tips of the asparagus does kinda taste like corn...mild corn.....
madgardener who loves asparagus, baby corn and sweet raw corn off the stalk
sometimes without cooking....(ummmmm, wonder if that timber bamboo down the
road would be tasty? with the heat lately, it's probably grown two foot by
now and too tough to eat

Old 18-04-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

madgardener writes

"K" wrote in message
Justin Thyme writes
Bamboo shoots are crisp and tender, comparable to asparagus, with a
flavour
similar to corn.

Whoever wrote that has eaten some funny asparagus!
--

no....the tips of the asparagus does kinda taste like corn..

Well, I guess having been brought up in the prime asparagus growing area
of the UK and eating asparagus all my life, I probably have a reasonably
good knowledge of asparagus, but you will have a better knowledge of
corn. I would be exceedingly disappointed in any asparagus which tasted
like corn - it has a very strong and distinctive flavour, and if I had
to classify it, it would be nearer to baby broad beans - but then your
corn may well taste like that.

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

--
Kay

I'll post back next week and tell you what I thought of my Lancashire grown
bamboo shoots. I have several bamboo varieties but the spectablis is
looking most promising at the moment. My asparagus is into its third season
now so I'm looking forward to trying for the first time some of the tasty
looking shoots that I.ve been watching appear over the last few weeks. I'll
certainly be drawing comparisons.

Justin Thyme

Old 18-04-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

[...]

I am with K on this one--although you can get them both slightly crunchy :-)
In your position I would grown on the new canes (culms) and sell them on
eBay.

Old 18-04-2006, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from K contains these words:

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

I have not cooked fresh bamboo shoots but *many* years ago
at school we used to raid the 'bamboo grove' and eat the very
young shoots raw. IIRC they were crunchy with a slightly nutty
taste!

I agree with Kay I do not recall asparagus but it was a very
looooong time ago!

Jennifer
Old 19-04-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
[...]

Older books always seemed to say unfamiliar vegetables tasted like
asparagus -- the way you keep hearing that anything from stingray to
humans tastes "just like chicken". Personally, I suspect it was just
because so many writers used to smoke pipes and therefore had totally
compromised palates.

I wonder if bamboo shoots from our climate would be tougher than ones
grown with tropical or sub-tropical speed.

Anybody eaten "Bath asparagus", Star of Bethlehem, _Ornithogalum
pyrenaicum_? And, while I'm on the subject, quamash, _Camassia_?

--
Mike.

Old 19-04-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Rupert wrote:
[...]

No --None of those but I have eaten:-
Nettles, Nasturtiums, Lime tree leaves, roasted Hogweed seed,Borage,Mahonia
fruit, and English Slugs/Snails (purged on oats).
My favourite is fuchsia fruit-tastes like delicate cherry.
When the Yew tree fruits I am going to try the flesh so if you don't hear
from me again......

Old 19-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Rupert wrote:
"Mike Lyle"

[...]
[...]

Do take care with the yew berries. They're very sweet, but slimy: I eat
one or two every few years just for the hell of it; but the official
poisonous plants book says there is a little of the poison even in the
pulp, and of course the sliminess increases the risk of swallowing the
bad-news seed by mistake.

Bob Flowerdew is breeding fuchsias in a bid to get fruit of worthwhile
size -- the info is probably on the Web.

--
Mike.

Old 24-04-2006, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

" All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any
way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

I have not cooked fresh bamboo shoots but *many* years ago
at school we used to raid the 'bamboo grove' and eat the very
young shoots raw. IIRC they were crunchy with a slightly nutty
taste!

I agree with Kay I do not recall asparagus but it was a very
looooong time ago!

Jennifer

Tried both the bamboo and asparagus today.

Asparagus.....delicious

Bamboo.... nice and crunchy and tastes of ? ? ? ? ? ? nothing really!

Justin

Old 24-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
According to the Plants For A Future (PFAF) database at www.pfaf.org, P. aureosulcata shoots make good eating (given a 4 out of 5 score for edibility), having very little bitterness, even raw. You should cut them when they are 8cm above ground, make the cut 5cm below ground. Plainly, specific cultivars of a given species can vary considerably in their edibility.

Buying Bamboo Shoots ChipAhoy Bamboo 1 15-06-2011 11:33 AM
Anyone here gather bamboo shoots? James Gardening 4 08-05-2007 01:10 AM
Bamboo shoots in water - pot up? David WE Roberts United Kingdom 5 13-01-2006 04:31 PM
Culinary bamboo shoots James Curts Bamboo 1 24-07-2003 04:43 PM
Culinary bamboo shoots James Curts Bamboo 0 22-07-2003 03:51 AM