Old 18-04-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Bamboo shoots to cook

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

--
Kay

I'll post back next week and tell you what I thought of my Lancashire
grown
bamboo shoots. I have several bamboo varieties but the spectablis is
looking most promising at the moment. My asparagus is into its third
season
now so I'm looking forward to trying for the first time some of the tasty
looking shoots that I.ve been watching appear over the last few weeks.
I'll
certainly be drawing comparisons.

Justin Thyme

I am with K on this one--although you can get them both slightly crunchy :-)
In your position I would grown on the new canes (culms) and sell them on
eBay.