Old 18-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default possible DIY dosing equipment?

I was thinking about possible ways to create a DIY dosing mechanism. I
have seen people using electric timers with some hoses etc. used to
measure out a little bit of ferts at a time. This is a little more
complicated than I feel I can tackle right now.

I was wondering if a hospital IV drip bag would work. There are a few
things that came to mind right off the bat. One being that some
fertilizers break down in light over time (so I have heard). This could
be easily overcome... Another issue is the aesthetic appeal of an IV
bag having to be located above the tank. For me, this is not an issue
because the tank that I have a hard time keeping my dosing schedule
with is a grow out tank for plants in my basement, not the prettiest
place on earth to begin with.

Assuming the dilution could be calculated, can anyone think of any
other reasons why something like this may not work?