Old 18-04-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

Default possible DIY dosing equipment?

I was thinking about possible ways to create a DIY dosing mechanism. I
have seen people using electric timers with some hoses etc. used to
measure out a little bit of ferts at a time. This is a little more
complicated than I feel I can tackle right now.

I was wondering if a hospital IV drip bag would work. There are a few
things that came to mind right off the bat. One being that some
fertilizers break down in light over time (so I have heard). This could
be easily overcome... Another issue is the aesthetic appeal of an IV
bag having to be located above the tank. For me, this is not an issue
because the tank that I have a hard time keeping my dosing schedule
with is a grow out tank for plants in my basement, not the prettiest
place on earth to begin with.

Assuming the dilution could be calculated, can anyone think of any
other reasons why something like this may not work?

Old 18-04-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants

One other thing... how long will a 1000ml bag last for if set on a
minimum drip? I guess it wouldn't save effort trouble if I had to go
change the bag daily... unless I got a bigger bag...

Old 19-04-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

In article om,
wrote:
One other thing... how long will a 1000ml bag last for if set on a
minimum drip? I guess it wouldn't save effort trouble if I had to go
change the bag daily... unless I got a bigger bag...

That would work fine and 1 litre would last a fairly long time
for an average to large sized tank.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home pages: http://rs79.vrx.net
Old 21-04-2006, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
sew crazy

If you are not worried about the looks why not fit a shelf pop a coupple of
gallon bucket on there and set up a drip syphon useing the same tubeing ....

sides when it comes to diluting the formula you will have more room for
error ...

"Mister Gardener" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:50:50 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Sexton) wrote:

In article om,
wrote:
One other thing... how long will a 1000ml bag last for if set on a
minimum drip? I guess it wouldn't save effort trouble if I had to go
change the bag daily... unless I got a bigger bag...

That would work fine and 1 litre would last a fairly long time
for an average to large sized tank.

If you have access to hospital IV tubing, get what is commonly called
a "mini-drip". These things drip such tiny drops that a 1000 ml bag
would last a few days. Find a nurse to tell you exactly how many mls
per minute you can set it for.

-- Mister Gardener