Old 19-04-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Ryobi petrol strimmer

"Connor T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, the cutting cord is fitted, and the spool is connected fine from
what I can tell. The grass was short 3 inch, no more, dry. The engine
runs perfectly, and the throttle works as expected, the spool seems to
spin up to a decent speed, but as soon as you put it near any grass,
rather than cutting it it just seems to slow down, the engine note
doesnt really change. ( on max at this point ) Very strange??

Off the top of my head as I don't know the animal, I would say that there is
a friction/clutch drive somewhere which is worn, so that when the cord is
applied to the grass and has to do ome work, this friction/clutch drive
slips rather like a torque screwdriver, but you are not hearing the clicks

Just a guess by the description of what is happening

Mike