Old 19-04-2006, 03:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default Bald Cypress

Victor Martinez typed:
Cindy wrote:
Thanks! Do they have very invasive roots that damage foundations?
There's a power line at the back of the property, unfortunately. How far
should I keep it from the house?

There's a lot of debate regarding whether or not roots really can
damage foundations or not. That said, these trees get *big*. Very
big. And if you like the "x-mas tree" look, you'll have to plant at
least two near each other. That way they compete and get tall.
Otherwise, they tend to spread out and get rounder.
Try to get a locally grown tree, that is more likely to be adapted
to your soil. If you're in Houston, you don't want a Hill Country
cypress.

Oh, I like the round canopies. I'm thinking they might get too big for my
yard, but by the time they do, I'll probably be dead. I have a long
lot, and if I put one in the center, it should be far enough from the power
line and the house.
There's a native plants seller here who has the Montezumas, he's where I
heard about them in the first place. I'll have to ask him who grows his
trees.

Thank you, Victor!

Cindy