Old 17-04-2006, 05:10 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Default Bald Cypress

Hey all...
I really love the look of Bald Cypress trees, and I want to put one in
my back yard. I understand there is a 'Montezuma' variety that doesn't
stick knees up as bad as the regular ones. What do you all think of these
trees?

Thanks,
Cindy

Old 17-04-2006, 08:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

You would have to continue the research on variety, but I've seen many
very healthy bald cypress in the area. They are very light and
graceful trees.

Old 17-04-2006, 09:49 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
You would have to continue the research on variety, but I've seen
many very healthy bald cypress in the area. They are very light and
graceful trees.

I'm in the Houston area, and there are LOTS of them here. Most that I
notice are in parks and such, just wanted to know how they are in yards.

Old 18-04-2006, 12:23 PM posted to austin.gardening

I really love the look of Bald Cypress
trees, and I want to put one in my back
yard.

Yes they are nice. Two things to consider: they like water, so the
water table should be high where you intend to plant if. The other
thing is to understand just how big the canopy will become. Plant the
new tree bearing that canopy diameter in mind.

Dave S(Texas)

Old 18-04-2006, 06:25 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:00:11 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

typed:
I really love the look of Bald Cypress
trees, and I want to put one in my back
yard.

Yes they are nice. Two things to consider: they like water, so the
water table should be high where you intend to plant if. The other
thing is to understand just how big the canopy will become. Plant
the new tree bearing that canopy diameter in mind.

Dave S(Texas)

Thanks! Do they have very invasive roots that damage foundations? There's
a power line at the back of the property, unfortunately. How far should I
keep it from the house?

Cindy

Cindy, I really do trust most people in this newsgroup, but you really
need to check up on the facts. Do not take the word of anyone unless
it's a qualified person, expecially when it comes to planting trees,
your property, and pipes.

Old 19-04-2006, 08:00 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Jangchub typed:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:00:11 GMT, "Cindy"
wrote:

typed:
I really love the look of Bald Cypress
trees, and I want to put one in my back
yard.

Yes they are nice. Two things to consider: they like water, so
the water table should be high where you intend to plant if. The
other thing is to understand just how big the canopy will become.
Plant the new tree bearing that canopy diameter in mind.

Dave S(Texas)

Thanks! Do they have very invasive roots that damage foundations?
There's a power line at the back of the property, unfortunately.
How far should I keep it from the house?

Cindy

Cindy, I really do trust most people in this newsgroup, but you
really need to check up on the facts. Do not take the word of
anyone unless it's a qualified person, expecially when it comes to
planting trees, your property, and pipes.

I've done plenty of research online. HERE I'm asking for other gardeners'
personal experience. I believe that's what this forum is for. Is that all
right?

Old 19-04-2006, 01:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Cindy wrote:
Thanks! Do they have very invasive roots that damage foundations? There's
a power line at the back of the property, unfortunately. How far should I
keep it from the house?

There's a lot of debate regarding whether or not roots really can damage
foundations or not. That said, these trees get *big*. Very big. And if
you like the "x-mas tree" look, you'll have to plant at least two near
each other. That way they compete and get tall. Otherwise, they tend to
spread out and get rounder.
Try to get a locally grown tree, that is more likely to be adapted to
your soil. If you're in Houston, you don't want a Hill Country cypress.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 19-04-2006, 02:20 PM posted to austin.gardening

Bald Cypress trees, I want one in my
back yard.

Ha! Forget what I posted! I was relying on what my neighbor claimed
his trees are. I 'googled' bald cypress....he ain't got bald cyress
trees! What he has are trees with 30' diameter round canopies. This
growth came in less than 10yrs too. Bald Cypress trees are conical
shaped trees.
He moved here from New Mexico and brought the, then, 4' trees with him.
Sorry for the mis-information....I'll shut up now

Dave S(Texas)

Old 19-04-2006, 02:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:00:15 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

Jangchub typed:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:00:11 GMT, "Cindy"
wrote:

typed:
[...]

Yes, yes, it's correct. However, whenever I am doing somthing which
potentially could do damage or cost more than it's worth I do not rely
on he Internet, it's websites, or experience of people. I've gotten
some pretty rotten advice from a very high profile commercial website.

Old 19-04-2006, 03:56 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Victor Martinez typed:
Cindy wrote:
Thanks! Do they have very invasive roots that damage foundations?
There's a power line at the back of the property, unfortunately. How far
should I keep it from the house?

There's a lot of debate regarding whether or not roots really can
damage foundations or not. That said, these trees get *big*. Very
big. And if you like the "x-mas tree" look, you'll have to plant at
least two near each other. That way they compete and get tall.
Otherwise, they tend to spread out and get rounder.
Try to get a locally grown tree, that is more likely to be adapted
to your soil. If you're in Houston, you don't want a Hill Country
cypress.

Oh, I like the round canopies. I'm thinking they might get too big for my
yard, but by the time they do, I'll probably be dead. I have a long
lot, and if I put one in the center, it should be far enough from the power
line and the house.
There's a native plants seller here who has the Montezumas, he's where I
heard about them in the first place. I'll have to ask him who grows his
trees.

Thank you, Victor!

Cindy

Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 AM posted to austin.gardening
Latosha Washington

I've seen many a bald cypress standing alone and they look like a Christmas
tree from a distance - not very round.

"pistor" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:
trees! What he has are trees with 30' diameter round canopies. This
growth came in less than 10yrs too. Bald Cypress trees are conical
shaped trees.

Bald cypress will only get that shape if they are planted near each
other, otherwise they get rounded canopies. Our bald cypress have grown
from 5' to 20' tall in 4 years.

Victor

[IBC] Bald Cypress randi sharp Bonsai 2 14-07-2003 06:32 AM
Bald Cypress Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 13-07-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Bald Cypress chop timing audgen Bonsai 2 13-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 2 05-03-2003 09:52 PM
Pruning Bald Cypress seedlings Steve Payne Bonsai 0 04-03-2003 12:07 AM