Old 19-04-2006, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Bamboo shoots to cook

Rupert wrote:
"Justin Thyme" wrote in message

All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in
any way similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There
again, maybe bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones
that finally make it, in preserved form, over here.

--
Kay

I'll post back next week and tell you what I thought of my Lancashire
grown
bamboo shoots. I have several bamboo varieties but the spectablis is
looking most promising at the moment. My asparagus is into its third
season
now so I'm looking forward to trying for the first time some of the
tasty looking shoots that I.ve been watching appear over the last
few weeks. I'll
certainly be drawing comparisons.

Justin Thyme

I am with K on this one--although you can get them both slightly
crunchy :-) In your position I would grown on the new canes (culms)
and sell them on eBay.

Older books always seemed to say unfamiliar vegetables tasted like
asparagus -- the way you keep hearing that anything from stingray to
humans tastes "just like chicken". Personally, I suspect it was just
because so many writers used to smoke pipes and therefore had totally
compromised palates.

I wonder if bamboo shoots from our climate would be tougher than ones
grown with tropical or sub-tropical speed.

Anybody eaten "Bath asparagus", Star of Bethlehem, _Ornithogalum
pyrenaicum_? And, while I'm on the subject, quamash, _Camassia_?

--
Mike.