Old 19-04-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default OT web hosts

"?" wrote in message
rg...
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:08:26 -0700 in
K Barrett wrote:
OK, I need cheap web space. I see 1&1 Hosting has 5 GB space for $5 a
month. But in the back of my mind I seem to recall that they aren't
great
to work with. Anyone have any input on web hosts? Currently I'm with
1-hour hosting I get 200MB space for over $150/yr, and that's nuts,
especailly in light of the amount of space and lower costs the newer
hosts
charge. Considering I have 3 webpages (all orchid related) this costs a
few
bucks.

You provide insufficient information. Here are a few questions to
ask yourself in order of priority.

Is it active content or static content?
If it is active content, how much of the active content is provided
through
custom software and how much is provided through off the shelf software?
How much bandwidth is consumed by people retrieving those web pages?
What level of reliability do you need?
What level of service do you need?
How do you normally update your content?
Are you open to changing how you update your content?

--
Chris Dukes
tajwerk this job isnt bad though. Today we had free breakfast and

These are not business pages. They are just pages for judging centers and
hobby groups. Bandwidth is minimal at best. I upload using WS-FTP LE.
Mostly pictures (lo resolution) and text. See
http://www.aospacificcentral.org. for an example. I update them once or
twice a month. Once a page is published I rarely go back and change it.
Content is static, I suppose.

Because these are shoestring operations I don't want to break the banks of
the sponsoring societies in order to house their webpages.

K Barrett