Old 20-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default ornamental tree for small garden

Sacha wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Sacha wrote:
KK wrote:
help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my
garden, and I want to replace it with something more colourful &
attractive. My garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

If it's not a windy spot, you could look at an Acer. Or a half
standard Kilmarnock Willow would be pretty, [...]

Death to all Kilmarnock Willows! In spring, eccentric; in summer,
pointless; in autumn and winter, depressing.

But but but......you must now make a Useful Suggestion! ;-)

Yes, I suppose I should have been a bit more constructive! Acer, as you
say; or what do you think of one of the smaller crab apples, like
"Katherine" or Sargentii, maybe "Sentinel" or Siberian? Weeping
laburnum? In fact, if it's to go in a corner, so it won't take over the
whole 10 metre square, what about a real dessert apple? The blossom is
just as good as the flowering crabs, and you should get something to
eat.

--
Mike.