Old 19-04-2006, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KK

Default ornamental tree for small garden

help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my garden,
and I want to replace it with something more colourful & attractive. My
garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

Thanks

KK

Old 19-04-2006, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

KK wrote:
help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my garden,
and I want to replace it with something more colourful & attractive. My
garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

If it's not a windy spot, you could look at an Acer. Or a half
standard Kilmarnock Willow would be pretty, as would a Wisteria, grown
as a standard with the support of a stout pole. The Wisteria would
eventually grow outwards and downwards, so that its branches touch the
ground. This look spectacular when in flower - rather like a woman in
a gorgeous ballgown! Some Magnolias would be a possibility, too.
Look at some of the Magnolias
hehttp://www.dungevalley.co.uk/trees%2...rubs%20m-o.htm
They don't do mail order but you'll get some ideas.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-04-2006, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
KK wrote:
help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my
garden, and I want to replace it with something more colourful &
attractive. My garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

If it's not a windy spot, you could look at an Acer. Or a half
standard Kilmarnock Willow would be pretty, [...]

Death to all Kilmarnock Willows! In spring, eccentric; in summer,
pointless; in autumn and winter, depressing.

--
Mike.

Old 19-04-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Mike Lyle wrote:
Sacha wrote:
KK wrote:
help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my
garden, and I want to replace it with something more colourful &
attractive. My garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

If it's not a windy spot, you could look at an Acer. Or a half
standard Kilmarnock Willow would be pretty, [...]

Death to all Kilmarnock Willows! In spring, eccentric; in summer,
pointless; in autumn and winter, depressing.

But but but......you must now make a Useful Suggestion! ;-)
---
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery
South Devon

Old 20-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Sacha wrote:
KK wrote:
help please

I have just cut down & dug out an old ugly tree in the corner of my
garden, and I want to replace it with something more colourful &
attractive. My garden is small (about 10m square).

All advice warmly welomed

If it's not a windy spot, you could look at an Acer. Or a half
standard Kilmarnock Willow would be pretty, [...]

Death to all Kilmarnock Willows! In spring, eccentric; in summer,
pointless; in autumn and winter, depressing.

But but but......you must now make a Useful Suggestion! ;-)

Yes, I suppose I should have been a bit more constructive! Acer, as you
say; or what do you think of one of the smaller crab apples, like
"Katherine" or Sargentii, maybe "Sentinel" or Siberian? Weeping
laburnum? In fact, if it's to go in a corner, so it won't take over the
whole 10 metre square, what about a real dessert apple? The blossom is
just as good as the flowering crabs, and you should get something to
eat.

--
Mike.

Ornamental Banana Tree Question. Ralph D. Gardening 0 26-05-2006 04:53 PM
ornamental Pear tree Linda Gardening 2 20-04-2005 03:28 AM
destructiveness of ornamental tree Mike Gardening 2 30-06-2004 03:08 PM
Ornamental Crabapple Tree Pruning Jim Schott Gardening 2 13-04-2004 03:02 AM
Looking for ornamental tree- help in ID The Popovics Gardening 4 16-07-2003 06:13 PM