Old 21-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Scotia Scotia is offline
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPlant
Total amateur gardener here, help appreciated...

We have five or six different shrubs/plants spread around the garden that are all wilting/dying/dead. There doesn't seem to be any obvious cause (insects or marking on leaves etc) and we've never had a problem in the past - these are all established plants, some four or five years old.

The problem started last year when a honeysuckle started to wilt badly with the leaves going a pale silvery-green colour (a neighbours honeysuckle on the opposite side of the fence also seemed to be affected). The honeysuckle hasn't shown any activity this year it looks like it's dead but the neighbours plant seems to have recovered. Two shrubs near to it (one is a 'Hakuro Nishiki' I don't know what the other is) also seem to be affected now as do two plants on the opposite side of the garden (one of these is a cystus I don't know what the other is). Some plants very near to the honeysuckle (e.g. a cotoneaster and a small magnolia seem unaffected).

Is it some sort of virus maybe? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

At first I thought you soil pH might be out of kilter but as you have had your plants for a few years I now don't think so, do you know if anyone has been using/spraying weedkiller in the area? eg.farmers /council you might have been affected by 'overspray'......just a thought!