Old 20-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Registered User

Default Dying plants...help!

Total amateur gardener here, help appreciated...

We have five or six different shrubs/plants spread around the garden that are all wilting/dying/dead. There doesn't seem to be any obvious cause (insects or marking on leaves etc) and we've never had a problem in the past - these are all established plants, some four or five years old.

The problem started last year when a honeysuckle started to wilt badly with the leaves going a pale silvery-green colour (a neighbours honeysuckle on the opposite side of the fence also seemed to be affected). The honeysuckle hasn't shown any activity this year it looks like it's dead but the neighbours plant seems to have recovered. Two shrubs near to it (one is a 'Hakuro Nishiki' I don't know what the other is) also seem to be affected now as do two plants on the opposite side of the garden (one of these is a cystus I don't know what the other is). Some plants very near to the honeysuckle (e.g. a cotoneaster and a small magnolia seem unaffected).

Is it some sort of virus maybe? Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Old 20-04-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:58:32 +0000, PaulPlant
wrote:

Total amateur gardener here, help appreciated...

We have five or six different shrubs/plants spread around the garden
that are all wilting/dying/dead. There doesn't seem to be any obvious
cause (insects or marking on leaves etc) and we've never had a problem
in the past - these are all established plants, some four or five years
old.

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Registered User

Pam, we're in Staffordshire. We've had plenty of water so I don't think it's drought - no-one else seems to have the problem either. Thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Moore
Old 21-04-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

PaulPlant wrote:[color=blue]

wrote:

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Have a look at this and click on Honey fungus.
Then examine your shrubs. If you do a Google image search you'll get
pics of the fruiting bodies which do smell of honey, and of the boot
lace like threads with which it spreads.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-04-2006, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Sacha wrote:[color=blue]

wrote:

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Have a look at this and click on Honey fungus.
Then examine your shrubs. If you do a Google image search you'll get
pics of the fruiting bodies which do smell of honey, and of the boot
lace like threads with which it spreads.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

And, as usual, I forgot the link!
http://www.armillatox.com/default.html

Old 21-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPlant
[...]

At first I thought you soil pH might be out of kilter but as you have had your plants for a few years I now don't think so, do you know if anyone has been using/spraying weedkiller in the area? eg.farmers /council you might have been affected by 'overspray'......just a thought!
Old 21-04-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...[color=blue]

wrote:

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Have a look at this and click on Honey fungus.
Then examine your shrubs. If you do a Google image search you'll get
pics of the fruiting bodies which do smell of honey, and of the boot
lace like threads with which it spreads.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Honey fungus did cross my mind but I thought that it was unusual for it to
effect so many different ,distantly spaced, plants all at the same time.
It will be interesting to hear what his examination revels.

Old 21-04-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , Pam Moore
wrote:

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Even in the south east rainfall in Feb was 107% of average and 94% of
average in March. April is looking average too. The "drought" is over
(actually it never arrived, it was merely 'threatened' by the
Environment Agency).