Old 21-04-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Insects eating lily leaves

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
IME, hosing off just carried the aphids to my other plants. I found the
best thing to do was get in the pond and squish them. This kills the
aphids
and the eggs, whereas hosing does not remove the sticky eggs. I only have
to do this about twice, as aphids on lily pads are only there via flying
adults. As long as aphids have plenty to eat, they don't sprout wings.
Thus
you may only be infected now, but not again.... YMMV due to zone. ~ jan
If it's a large lily like mine was it would be almost impossible to find and
squish them all. They reproduce so fast it would have had to be done every
few days. I didn't want them spreading to the other lilies. It was easier
to remove them and use the safest possible insecticide on them. Neither my
GF, rosy reds or koi would eat them.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.