Old 20-04-2006, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Jerry Jackson

Default Insects eating lily leaves

My three year old pond is thick with lilys whose leaves have a lot of tiny
black insects on them. They first showed up last Fall and have renewed
themselves on this years crop. The bugs are about the size of the head on a
sewing pin. What are they and how can I eliminate them? I have a few
goldfish & catfish. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry in San Antonio

Old 20-04-2006, 11:34 PM posted to rec.ponds
Don C.

Jerry,
When I had this a couple of years ago I used a hose to wash the insects
off the leaves and the fish took care of them.
drc

Old 20-04-2006, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"Don C." wrote in message
. ..
Jerry,
When I had this a couple of years ago I used a hose to wash the insects
off the leaves and the fish took care of them.

=====================
My goldfish and koi wont eat black or green aphids. I had to remove the one
infected lily and use a vegetable-garden spray on it. I returned it to the
pond a week or so later.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 21-04-2006, 12:05 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Just call Carol or Derek or Snooze up.they will suck them insects
right off those plants......

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:34:15 -0400, "Don C."
wrote:

x-Jerry,
x- When I had this a couple of years ago I used a hose to wash the insects
x-off the leaves and the fish took care of them.
x-drc
x-
x-"Jerry Jackson" wrote in message
x- My three year old pond is thick with lilys whose leaves have a lot of
x- tiny black insects on them. They first showed up last Fall and have
x- renewed themselves on this years crop. The bugs are about the size of the
x- head on a sewing pin. What are they and how can I eliminate them? I have
x- a few goldfish & catfish. Thanks for any suggestions.
x-
x- Jerry in San Antonio
x-

If ya dissagree with what I post then see below......
The original and one and only frugal ponder.

---
! !
! !
! !
! !
----! !----
----! ! ! !
! ! ! ! ! --
! ! ! ! ! / !
! ! / !
..
Just for Derek and Carol and anyone else it may fit!
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old 21-04-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Jerry Jackson wrote:

My three year old pond is thick with lilys whose leaves have a lot of
tiny
black insects on them. They first showed up last Fall and have renewed
themselves on this years crop. The bugs are about the size of the head on
sewing pin. What are they and how can I eliminate them? I have a few
goldfish & catfish. Thanks for any suggestions.

Most likely aphids. Rinse them off regularly. The fish _may_ eat them
(always worked for me, often doesn't for others - I'll never understand
fish :-) ). If the fish don't, at least the aphids aren't going to like
it.
--
derek

Old 21-04-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

My three year old pond is thick with lilys whose leaves have a lot of tiny
black insects on them. They first showed up last Fall and have renewed
themselves on this years crop. The bugs are about the size of the head on a
sewing pin. What are they and how can I eliminate them? I have a few
goldfish & catfish. Thanks for any suggestions.

Jerry in San Antonio

IME, hosing off just carried the aphids to my other plants. I found the
best thing to do was get in the pond and squish them. This kills the aphids
and the eggs, whereas hosing does not remove the sticky eggs. I only have
to do this about twice, as aphids on lily pads are only there via flying
adults. As long as aphids have plenty to eat, they don't sprout wings. Thus
you may only be infected now, but not again.... YMMV due to zone. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 21-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

~ janj wrote:

As long as aphids have plenty to eat, they don't sprout
wings.

I never knew that...
--
derek
Old 21-04-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

I tried the hosing em off, my koi werent interested. so I took the plants out put
them into a deeper tub of water and used copper sulfate or PP in the water to kill
em. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 21-04-2006, 02:26 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

There is lots you do not know boy!
But one thing we all know is that your a whiney assed limp wristed
fudgepacking dweeb that gets it on with Carol in cyber sex.

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:38:09 -0300, Derek Broughton
wrote:
~ janj wrote:

As long as aphids have plenty to eat, they don't sprout
wings.

I never knew that...

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 21-04-2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

"~ janj" wrote in message
news
IME, hosing off just carried the aphids to my other plants. I found the
best thing to do was get in the pond and squish them. This kills the
aphids
and the eggs, whereas hosing does not remove the sticky eggs. I only have
to do this about twice, as aphids on lily pads are only there via flying
adults. As long as aphids have plenty to eat, they don't sprout wings.
Thus
you may only be infected now, but not again.... YMMV due to zone. ~ jan
If it's a large lily like mine was it would be almost impossible to find and
squish them all. They reproduce so fast it would have had to be done every
few days. I didn't want them spreading to the other lilies. It was easier
to remove them and use the safest possible insecticide on them. Neither my
GF, rosy reds or koi would eat them.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.