Old 21-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Dying plants...help!

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:[color=blue]
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

PaulPlant wrote:
Pam, we're in Staffordshire. We've had plenty of water so I don't think
it's drought - no-one else seems to have the problem either.
Thinking...

Pam Moore Wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:58:32 +0000, PaulPlant
wrote:

In what part of the country are you? Could the plants be suffering
from drought?

Have a look at this and click on Honey fungus.
Then examine your shrubs. If you do a Google image search you'll get
pics of the fruiting bodies which do smell of honey, and of the boot
lace like threads with which it spreads.

Honey fungus did cross my mind but I thought that it was unusual for it to
effect so many different ,distantly spaced, plants all at the same time.
It will be interesting to hear what his examination revels.

I've had it cross a garden in a sort of zigzag. I suppose that garden
was probably 40 feet wide and it was walled, which might make a
difference - don't know. In the end, we took out everything affected,
ground down the stumps of some old fruit trees which seemed to be most
particularly affected and did then appear to be rid of it for the final
4 or 5 years I had that house.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk