Old 23-04-2006, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

Default lawn sprinkler math problem

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
I have 100 foot by 100 foot with equals 10,000 square feet. I want to water
this area without putting any sprinklers in the middle. All sprinklers will
be on the outside perimeter. Now I will put a sprinkler shooting 50 feet in
the middle of all 4 sides. This will work. The only problem is half my lawn
is getting twice as much as the other half. I can put a 10 foot diameter in
the middle and put a sprinkler network there. But I'm not sure which the
best way is. Any ideas?

The other thing that you didn't think of is that impact sprinklers and gear
driven sprinklers that can throw water 50 feet out also do a horrible job of
watering directly infront of the sprinkler. So there will be a 5-10' radius
of under watered as well. The way to over come this is to put 1 sprinkler in
the 4 corners, and in the middle of each side as well.

Like this:
o o o
o o
o o o

As someone else pointed out, you probably don't want to run 3/4" pipe down
the entire run, the pressure loss and flow rate will be too low for the
desired results. Use 1 1/2" pipe for your main runs.

-S