Old 23-04-2006, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Default lawn sprinkler math problem

I have 100 foot by 100 foot with equals 10,000 square feet. I want to water
this area without putting any sprinklers in the middle. All sprinklers will
be on the outside perimeter. Now I will put a sprinkler shooting 50 feet in
the middle of all 4 sides. This will work. The only problem is half my lawn
is getting twice as much as the other half. I can put a 10 foot diameter in
the middle and put a sprinkler network there. But I'm not sure which the
best way is. Any ideas?

Richard

Old 23-04-2006, 02:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Elizabeth

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
I have 100 foot by 100 foot with equals 10,000 square feet. I
want to water this area without putting any sprinklers in the
middle. All sprinklers will be on the outside perimeter. Now I
will put a sprinkler shooting 50 feet in the middle of all 4
sides. This will work. The only problem is half my lawn is
getting twice as much as the other half. I can put a 10 foot
diameter in the middle and put a sprinkler network there. But I'm
not sure which the best way is. Any ideas?

Richard

If you're running 400 feet of line on one valve you might need to
increase pipe size. Alternately, you could run two valves with 200
feet of pipe each. Reduce frictional loss.
I would put a couple of 360 pop ups on the center line.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 23-04-2006, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Snooze

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
I have 100 foot by 100 foot with equals 10,000 square feet. I want to water
this area without putting any sprinklers in the middle. All sprinklers will
be on the outside perimeter. Now I will put a sprinkler shooting 50 feet in
the middle of all 4 sides. This will work. The only problem is half my lawn
is getting twice as much as the other half. I can put a 10 foot diameter in
the middle and put a sprinkler network there. But I'm not sure which the
best way is. Any ideas?

The other thing that you didn't think of is that impact sprinklers and gear
driven sprinklers that can throw water 50 feet out also do a horrible job of
watering directly infront of the sprinkler. So there will be a 5-10' radius
of under watered as well. The way to over come this is to put 1 sprinkler in
the 4 corners, and in the middle of each side as well.

Like this:
o o o
o o
o o o

As someone else pointed out, you probably don't want to run 3/4" pipe down
the entire run, the pressure loss and flow rate will be too low for the
desired results. Use 1 1/2" pipe for your main runs.

-S

Old 23-04-2006, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens
AndyS

Andy writes:

I assume the reason for the "overwatering" is the fact that
the 180 degree sprinklers in each side OVERLAP, and NOT
because of pipe size or pressure drop...

Why not consider four 90 degree heads, all in the center,
facing each side.?"??? That should get rid of the overlap and use
the same amount of water......

Just an idea...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old 23-04-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Richard Miller

Thanks Andy, 90 degrees is the answer, I will do that and make up for any
lawn not being watered with pop ups and set them to whatever degrees I need.

Richard

"AndyS" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 24-04-2006, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Derryl Killan

Richard Miller wrote:
I have 100 foot by 100 foot with equals 10,000 square feet. I want to water
this area without putting any sprinklers in the middle. All sprinklers will
be on the outside perimeter. Now I will put a sprinkler shooting 50 feet in
the middle of all 4 sides. This will work. The only problem is half my lawn
is getting twice as much as the other half. I can put a 10 foot diameter in
the middle and put a sprinkler network there. But I'm not sure which the
best way is. Any ideas?

Richard

You will not have much luck with your 100% overlap which you need on
windy days. Run your 4 sprinklers down the middle and do it right. It
is too difficult to reinstall the center line after you have installed
your system

Derryl

[IMG] code is On

Gear driven sprinkler versus impact sprinkler MiamiCuse Lawns 2 11-11-2008 02:40 AM
ChlorAm-X Where can I buy this? (was: Yo! math wiz help, please!) Nedra Ponds 14 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
Yo! math wiz help, please! Lee Brouillet Ponds 10 22-09-2005 03:32 PM
Garden Math Anonymous Edible Gardening 1 18-04-2004 07:13 PM
Killex (weed killer) math Q drifter Gardening 1 22-05-2003 05:56 PM