Old 23-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default St Augustine seed

On 2006-04-20 22:21:53 -0500, "Jonny" said:

Read at quite a few websites, can't get seed for St. Augustine as it just
won't take/gestate/grow.

Live out in rural area, no one to impress. Let the St. Augustine grow to
seed, and beyond last year. Then mowed it. Some of that seed did grow
this year. As, no runners or whatsoever present, and new St. Augustine
is growing in bare patches more than 1 foot away from any St. Augustine
or any other growth for that matter.

So, what's the problem with St. Augustine seed?

Are you sure there are no runners?

Only 1 foot away is not very convincing evidence to me that the St.
Augustine has spread by seed. I have seen it spread several feet or more
in one season by runners.

Guess no one knows, or does not believe what I see. Oh, well.
--
Jonny