Old 21-04-2006, 04:21 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default St Augustine seed

Read at quite a few websites, can't get seed for St. Augustine as it just
won't take/gestate/grow.

Live out in rural area, no one to impress. Let the St. Augustine grow to
seed, and beyond last year. Then mowed it. Some of that seed did grow this
year. As, no runners or whatsoever present, and new St. Augustine is
growing in bare patches more than 1 foot away from any St. Augustine or any
other growth for that matter.

So, what's the problem with St. Augustine seed?

--
Jonny

Old 21-04-2006, 04:19 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

It does not produce seed, and the varieties which does are sterile.

Old 21-04-2006, 05:16 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jim Jennings

On 2006-04-20 22:21:53 -0500, "Jonny" said:

Read at quite a few websites, can't get seed for St. Augustine as it
just won't take/gestate/grow.

Live out in rural area, no one to impress. Let the St. Augustine grow
to seed, and beyond last year. Then mowed it. Some of that seed did
grow this year. As, no runners or whatsoever present, and new St.
Augustine is growing in bare patches more than 1 foot away from any St.
Augustine or any other growth for that matter.

So, what's the problem with St. Augustine seed?

Are you sure there are no runners?

Only 1 foot away is not very convincing evidence to me that the*St.
Augustine has spread by seed.* I have seen it spread several feet or
more in one season by runners.

Old 23-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

On 2006-04-20 22:21:53 -0500, "Jonny" said:

Read at quite a few websites, can't get seed for St. Augustine as it just
won't take/gestate/grow.

Live out in rural area, no one to impress. Let the St. Augustine grow to
seed, and beyond last year. Then mowed it. Some of that seed did grow
this year. As, no runners or whatsoever present, and new St. Augustine
is growing in bare patches more than 1 foot away from any St. Augustine
or any other growth for that matter.

So, what's the problem with St. Augustine seed?

Are you sure there are no runners?

Only 1 foot away is not very convincing evidence to me that the St.
Augustine has spread by seed. I have seen it spread several feet or more
in one season by runners.

Guess no one knows, or does not believe what I see. Oh, well.
--
Jonny

Old 23-04-2006, 08:16 PM posted to austin.gardening
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Jonny wrote:

Read at quite a few websites, can't get seed for St. Augustine as it just
won't take/gestate/grow.

Live out in rural area, no one to impress. Let the St. Augustine grow to
seed, and beyond last year. Then mowed it. Some of that seed did grow this
year. As, no runners or whatsoever present, and new St. Augustine is
growing in bare patches more than 1 foot away from any St. Augustine or any
other growth for that matter.

So, what's the problem with St. Augustine seed?

--
Jonny

I kinda equate this issue to the Gospels of Mary and Judas, no one gives them
the proper credence (but that is another can of worms).

I have for the past 30 plus years let my St. Augustine grass go to seed twice a
year and after the "go to seed" period, the grass just grows like wildfire. I
did this in Puerto Rico and have done the same here in Austin, and have the same
results - beautiful grass that grows thick and repels weeds.

The question I usually ask the non-believers is: How do the grass growing
companies propagate St. Augustine in such large quantities? Is it by letting
runners grow - not likely since this would take a long time and for them, time
is money. So the answer has to be SEEDS!!! Problem is we simple homeowners are
not allowed access to the St. Augustine seeds.

Just my two cents.

Ray
Southwest Austin
===

Old 24-04-2006, 12:19 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:16:06 GMT, "Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman"
wrote:

Jonny wrote:

[...]

St Augustine is propagated using plugs on huge areas of flat land all
over the southern United States. It does NOT go to seed. If you
think your does, I would suggest taking it to the Texas A&M
Cooperative Extension because I'm certain someone would love to
develop that.

The seed heads (or what you are calling seed heads) are sterile.

http://www.saintaugustinegrass.com/
Old 24-04-2006, 01:08 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" wrote in message

Jonny wrote:

[...]

No, St Augustine grass that grows without attachment to presently growing
grass is Immaculate Conception. Since TX A&M has no religiously oriented
agriculture research, it chooses to deny some things easily observed but
cannot explain based on their concepts (sarcasm).

Can't believe there's people out there that think there's only one
subspecies of St. Augustine regarding sun tolerance. That is, all
subspecies tolerate the sun exposure the same. One respondent seems to
think that.

Tending to believe the general mindset is modified to believe things that
seem apparently true at first glance. Until someone takes the time to take
a longer look. Then that observation is presented, and the prevailing
mindset responds in kind to stomp out that observation denying the
observation in the explanation why said observation cannot be true. Kinda
like sticking the head in the sand and holding up a sign stating dogma in
response.
--
Jonny

Old 24-04-2006, 04:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
dt

wrote:

Jonny wrote:

[...]

They know: "Dwarf and variegated types of St.
Augustine grass have also been selected from seed..."
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/turf/pu...ons/staug.html

The seed heads (or what you are calling seed heads) are sterile.

http://www.saintaugustinegrass.com/

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/