Old 24-04-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Justin Thyme

Default Bamboo shoots to cook

" All I can say is that no bamboo shoots that I have eaten were in any
way
similar to asparagus, either in taste or texture. There again, maybe
bamboo shoots taste different in China from the ones that finally make
it, in preserved form, over here.

I have not cooked fresh bamboo shoots but *many* years ago
at school we used to raid the 'bamboo grove' and eat the very
young shoots raw. IIRC they were crunchy with a slightly nutty
taste!

I agree with Kay I do not recall asparagus but it was a very
looooong time ago!

Jennifer

Tried both the bamboo and asparagus today.

Asparagus.....delicious

Bamboo.... nice and crunchy and tastes of ? ? ? ? ? ? nothing really!

Justin