Old 24-04-2006, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

Default fairy rings

"Lynn Coffelt" wrote in message

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
et...
It appears from trying to apply what little brain power I have to some
of the info available on the web, that there is little one can
do(without extreme measure) to 'kill' a fairy ring. I have one that
encircles part of my lawn conatining roots from a Silverleaf Maple
removed 2 years ago (likely the food source for the fungus) and a 1.5
year old installation of a 30 gallon container sized lacebark Elm. The
Elm is doing quite well but lawn grass in the area is practically
exterminated. Any suggestions?

Carl

Carl,
I don't know if all fairy rings are equal, or if they are the same in
all regions, but here's some hope from the Pacific Northwest.
We seem to have world class fairy rings, but they grow larger in
diameter each season. Ours grow out into neighbors yards within five or

six
years. (of course theirs are crossing your territory at the same time)
I've read, but not studied, that fairy rings of a sort are among the
world's largest living organisms. Some have been recognized that are miles
across.
Old Chief Lynn

according to info given to me the fungus responsible for fairy rings is deep
within the soil and the only 'complete' (I cannot guarantee how complete)
cure is to remove the turf to a depth of about 20cm. Make of that what you
will.

rob